Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Abbey Mills Pumping Station May 2012

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The original Abbey Mills Pumping Station, in Abbey Lane, London E15, is a sewerage pumping station, designed by engineer Joseph Bazalgette, Edmund Cooper, and architect Charles Driver. It was built between 1865 and 1868. It was designed in a cruciform plan, with an elaborate Byzantine style, described as The Cathedral of Sewage. It has a twin, Crossness Pumping Station, south of the River Thames at Crossness, at the end of the Southern Outfall Sewer.

The pumps raised the sewage in the London sewerage system between the two Low Level Sewers and the Northern Outfall Sewer, which was built in the 1860s to carry the increasing amount of sewage produced in London away from the centre of the city.

Two Moorish styled chimneys – unused since steam power had been replaced by electric motors in 1933 – were demolished during the Second World War, as they were a landmark for German bombers on raids over the London docks.

The building still houses electric pumps – to be used in reserve for the new facility next door.

The main building is grade II* listed and there are many grade II listed ancillary buildings, including the stumps of the demolished chimneys.

The modern pumping station (Station F) was designed by architects Allies and Morrison. The old building (Station A) has electrical pumps for use as a standby; the modern station is one of the three principal London pumping stations dealing with foul water.

One of world's largest installation of drum screens to treat sewage was constructed as part of the Thames Tideway Scheme.

The historic pumping station at Abbey Mills is an operational by Thames Water and access is by special pre-booked tour only

AMN20.jpg

AMN15.jpg

AMN16.jpg

AMN18.jpg

AMN17.jpg

as you can see this place is still running in standby mode.

AMN19.jpg

this building use to house great big pumps all thats left of them is the base's sitting in the water.

AM02.jpg

Same building as above but from higher up and taken in the day.

AM01.jpg

AM03.jpg

AM04.jpg

AM07.jpg

AM09.jpg

AMN01.jpg

AMN02.jpg

AMN03.jpg

AMN04.jpg

AMN05.jpg

AMN06.jpg

AMN07.jpg

AMN08.jpg

AMN09.jpg

AMN10.jpg

AMN12.jpg

AMN13.jpg

well there you go guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I used to do volunteer work down there as well mate but had to stop because I had to move away. I should make an effort to pop my head in and say hello to every one next time I'm over that way.

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Love everything about this, the building is awesome and the inside is pretty special!!

Enjoyed this mate (y)

Rik

OS Member
Reaction score
All about the pumping stations at the moment! I have to say the architecture of the place is fantastic!!

Thanks for sharing!

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Would love to get inside there, some winning shots amongst these mate

yoerie92

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
amazing!!!!

buuuttttt... urbex or infiltration? :p

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! Yes you should pop in to Crossness, its coming on amazing!

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Very colourful place, great looking location and snaps bud (y)

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to comment everyone :)

we were very lucky on the night we got in here because all the heaters where switched on and that's what made the lighting look so great.