Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Antebellum State Hospital

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite hospitals...the Kirkbride. This example of one was built in 1858 and had unfortunately some rather hideous modification done over the years mainly in the admin section. I contacted the state archives where this building is located after I visited my second time asking if they had any old photos of the interiors and sadly they did not. I also asked for any information they had which turned out to be very little. They did direct me to a small group of students from college  that did some research and gave presentation a few  years ago as well as some PDF files of what they did have in their collection.  The "chapel" or amusement hall looks like it was really beautiful originally and from what I can discern they made it into 2.5 floors from the original open space it once was. There is a really decorative stenciling in the "attic" portion which should have been seen from what is now the first floor along with pretty stained glass windows which again are "cut" up due to the floor addition.  Admin has some ghastly suspended ceilings with piping all over. The front entry was covered up partially and made smaller as well from what I can tell. Why they did such hideous things I do not know. Lack of common sense or wanting to preserve the originality of the building.  There really isn't much information about this place as I mentioned but I do know in the 1930's they changed the wards to mainly open ones hence really no patient rooms. There were also several other buildings that have been torn down over the years which were quite nice and some modifications done to the outside of the kirk which I found out about when I found an old postcard view of it.  Anyway here's the photos from my various 4 visits. It's 11 hrs from me or I'd gone more than that :)

roo2.jpg

hall.jpg

chapel2.jpg

mhall1.jpg

white.jpg

stairs.jpg

red2.jpg

rain.jpg

backwing.jpg

arches.jpg

m4.jpg

mem1.jpg

roo1.jpg

admin.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc8.jpg

bc22.jpg

bc33.jpg

bc39.jpg

night.jpg

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
What a lovely looking building and some real nice features inside. In particular that bathtub in pic 5 and the circular window-brickwork too :)  Thanks for adding those old pics too (y)  

:comp  

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice those :)

Thank you 

What a lovely looking building and some real nice features inside. In particular that bathtub in pic 5 and the circular window-brickwork too :)  Thanks for adding those old pics too (y)  

:comp  

Thanks for the compliments. The bathtubs were one of my fave shots to get because it was untouched with graffiti unlike some other parts :(. They have been planning to make this building into apartments/condos and it's registered historic but that means nothing here in the U.S

i knew i should have stolen the COCK

:? :?

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Really nice, I like those detailed shots. That bath tub is nice as well. The place is amazing, lovely set of pics (y)  

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is better, the place or your shots! what an incredible place. Its not often you see detail like shot 3 in these places.

This deserves a place in staff picks.

More from you please! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is better, the place or your shots! what an incredible place. Its not often you see detail like shot 3 in these places.

This deserves a place in staff picks.

More from you please! :)

Thank you! I appreciate the kind compliments :)  Yes not often do you find the stenciling in shot #3. It's ashame it's hidden in the attic. I wished there was a photo of how it was originally but sadly none that I was able to find nor the archives

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
All killer no filler  :1_grinning:

Awesome report!