Contact Staff

Contact the team

Aylesford Newsprint, Kent - Dec 2015

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This has been a while in the making. 

Paper has been manufactured on the Aylesford Newsprint site since 1922, formely under the name of Aylesford Paper Mill and laterly by Aylesford Newsprint. The entire area has a history which revolved around the paper and packaging industry for decades, but this has been in steep decline in the last 20 years or so. The plant at Aylesford was the last remaining part of this industry in this area, but it to has now ceased to be a viable business and has been closed since March 2015. 

Aylesford Newsprint was a long-established major employer in the area and was the largest paper recycling factory in Europe, manufacturing newsprint for the newspaper industry mainly for the London press. The mill was heavily modernised in the 1990's with millions of pounds spent on a state of the art warehousing system and significant new production equipment which is what you see today.

When it closed, the mill employed 230 people and produced more than 400,000 tons of newprint from 500,000 tons of recycled paper every year.

So on to our explore. 

I had been more than aware of this place since it shut, and had be checking it with alarming regularity pretty much since it closed its doors. The site always seemed busy, even at night and security with dogs were very present and as nobody really wants their arse bitten by a dog, least of all me, it makes you a bit more cautious. Recently I took things a bit more seriously and had one attempt at getting on site, but got seen pretty quickly and had to make a quick retriet. 

Fastforward to the Christmas period and an old exploring friend got in touch who only lives a matter of minutes from the papermill asking had I explored it yet. The answer was of course no, but we shared some information and came up with a plan which we skillfull executed and came away with a sucessful explore in the bag, and possibly one of the most brilliant places I've ever been, it is seriously impressive. 

So without further ado, I present to you Aylesford news print, the papermaking process from start to finish (sort of) 

Explored with KentUrbex, cheers for a great night. 

So Aylesford made it's newsprint from recycled papaer and magazines which is where most papaer collected from households in SE England ended up. It all went into a big warehouse, which looked a bit like this. Best picture I could get as that was the only light on in the whole place, but hey a report's got to start somewhere, right. 

IMG_4842_zpshva8k2ht.jpg

From there, the paper was loaded onto conveyors and transported to the pulping facility which are essentially two big drums which turned the paper into pulp to start it's processing through the paper making process. 

IMG_4840_zpsnbtm4qdc.jpg

So from here, this is where things start to get interesting and the machinery starts to get bigger. And bigger. Oh you have no idea. 

Welcome to the Fibre Preparation Plant. 

IMG_4747_zpsv7m8gm8w.jpg

This is where the pulp is cleaned, screened and brightened in preparation for use on the paper making machines. 

IMG_4732_zpsuydpnjfx.jpg

IMG_4799_zpsximmaf86.jpg

IMG_4737_zpssyjg36zi.jpg

IMG_4763_zpsmt3okuiw.jpg

Underneath this impressive machine is an array of pipes and tanks that feed it. 

IMG_4724_zpsesrzqbo5.jpg

IMG_4729_zps0qgcoacf.jpg

IMG_4716_zpsqcqxrbtu.jpg

I have no idea really what all these machines actually do, but they are all involved in the screening of the pulp, removing impurities such as ink, staples, glue and other organic matter from the pulp before it is made into paper. some of them are very impressive bits of machinery. 

IMG_4787_zpslqyo1vmu.jpg

IMG_4784_zpsxl8j29t5.jpg

IMG_4812_zpsk6l6rlfp.jpg

IMG_4827_zpshcduev8o.jpg

So after the pulp has been circulated round the Fibre Preparation plant, it is ready to be made into paper. Aylesford mill has two paper making machines, they're called PM14 and PM13. We did see both, but by the time we got to PM13 which is the smaller of the two, we were pretty tired and my camera battery had died so I didn't get any photos of that one. Howveer PM14 is the one we wanted to see. 

This thing is MASSIVE. it's 110 metres long, and over 10 metres wide housed in a custom built building.

Say hello to PM14

IMG_4856_zpsk6ny6bot.jpg

IMG_4866_zpsstssnuv6.jpg

IMG_4901_zpskwxhin8h.jpg

This impressive piece of engineering was capable of producing paper at a rate of 1 mile a minute. Yes, that's correct, the paper moved at 60MPH through the machine, that's INSANE! 

IMG_4906_zpsi8aztnet.jpg

At the dry end of the machine, the paper was reeled onto massive rolls that were . . . . well just look. 

IMG_4911_zpsbt29ixgw.jpg

The massive rolls of paper were moved from the PM14 machine to the various re-wind machines where the paper was cut and wound onto reels according to the customers specification. They were moved around on rails like this.  

IMG_4898_zpspebzb3y2.jpg

And then from the re-wind machines it was moved around on these conveyors in the floor - sheer genius, 

IMG_4922_zps0s6kjnn6.jpg

IMG_4931_zpsfc1g7of5.jpg

There were all sorts of other machines to do with packaging the reels of paper and transporting them to the warehouse. 

IMG_4934_zps23hsl1yw.jpg

Possibly one of the best kept, cleanest and neatest engineers stores I have ever seen. The people who worked here clearly had pride in what they were doing, it was so well organised. 

IMG_4860_zpsn29a2j6b.jpg

IMG_4865_zpsq4fevy8p.jpg

Coninued. . . . 

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Of course, the paper making machinery is only a small part of it, there's all this stuff supporting that, various tanks, pipes, filters and god knows what else fills the room to the side of the actual machine and the floors above.

IMG_4880_zpskstq2lof.jpg

IMG_4868_zpshj5hxx2o.jpg

IMG_4872_zps0e8mf7yn.jpg

IMG_4875_zpsdyc1aacv.jpg

Valmet, I salute you. You make beautiful machinery. 

IMG_4907_zps5dxhbplr.jpg

So after the paper has come off the rewind machines and been packaged up ready for shipping/storage, where does it go? Into the most bonkers storage facility I've ever seen. This thing is 28 metres high 100 metres long and would have been totally automated with 7 cranes being used for retriveing and storing the reels in the racking. It has a total capacity of 10,000 tons of finished product, that's mental! Just look! 

IMG_4957_zpswi3n5ivg.jpg

IMG_4955_zps6ux2erxn.jpg

IMG_4952_zpsppail35d.jpg

IMG_4953_zpstnfwdgwc.jpg

IMG_4944_zpsvclauz3o.jpg

IMG_4963_zpsojudjsaz.jpg

IMG_4975_zpszxd59hjg.jpg

IMG_4976_zps06bmlybn.jpg

IMG_4986_zpsxb4rwczt.jpg

And then from there, it's last leg of it's journey would have been loaded automatically into trailers from this loading bay. Seriously such an advanced system moving all this around the factory, millions and millions of pounds of investment all just sitting here dorment now, seems such a waste! 

IMG_4992_zpsvhbjkyxs.jpg

IMG_4990_zpsssom4bje.jpg

We did pop in and see paper making machine PM13 which is the smaller of the two, but by this time we were both pretty tired and my camera battery had died, so I have no photos of this. It's very similar to it's big brother PM14, but not quite as impressive! 

Anyone who's interested in finding out more about this place when it was open, you can view their promotional video online here. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToASKg6WYP0 

Thanks for looking, 

Maniac. 

Last edited by a moderator:

kent-urbex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Visited with Manica, this had been on the list since February 2014 when the company went into administration making 233 people redundant.

Aylesford Newsprint

DSC_7011_zpsqiqh9rah.jpg

Buildings

DSC_7021_zps0czvuqhm.jpg

Silos

DSC_7030_zpspqg54y0f.jpg

Npower power plant

DSC_7040_zpskncfaykp.jpg

Old train tracks

aylesford%20paper%20mill%203_zpsgomaqqcx.jpg

Pipes

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx276/kent-urbex/Aylesford%20paper%20mill%20new/DSC_6799_zpstcwf0xrh.jpg

Crane controller and control room

DSC_6812_zpszqe0fa4w.jpg

DSC_6828_zpse57zz8h9.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx276/kent-urbex/Aylesford%20paper%20mill%20new/DSC_6834_zpsdnhtzfq5.jpg

DSC_6839_zpsrra7xayy.jpg

DSC_6841_zpsfaegp9bz.jpg

Two large conveyor belt leading to the machine which gently tumbles the paper, water is added which causes the fibres to swell. This also helps with contaminants such as cd cases and dvd packaging to be removed.

DSC_6853_zpsgfhxic56.jpg

Pm14 paper machine this machine is 114m long and 10m wide, the paper travels through this machine at 60mph

DSC_6875_zpswajygsap.jpg

warning lights

DSC_6884_zps80ohbbvb.jpg

Control room

DSC_6912_zpsqhinfu2a.jpg

DSC_6920_zpsw3jgytfy.jpg

Overhead view

DSC_6928_zpsvc8y9dfm.jpg

This is where the reels of paper are wrapped for protection and labeled for the store room

DSC_6932_zpstujesfzw.jpg

DSC_6934_zps43fdez12.jpg

This is where the reels of paper are held, the warehouse can hold up to 10,000 tones of paper. It is 105m long and 28m high with 7 fully automatic cranes.

DSC_6955_zpsivzynef4.jpg

crane

DSC_6968_zpsyd1zosgl.jpg

DSC_6974_zpshengddqk.jpg

Track

DSC_6965_zpsg9fhtoom.jpg

Loading ramps

DSC_6985_zpsuivnxrvc.jpg

DSC_6996_zpsluho6cc8.jpg

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Epic mate :)  Lovely pictures mate and best ive seen from you.

Perjury Saint

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Christ on a bike!! Epic doesn't really cover this place!! (y)

Indecisive M

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wow!! absolutely stunning. Love the look of this place. Fantastic work guys. 

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
That's damn bloody epic right there, I take my hat off to you. I think I just found something new for the top of my 'want' list...

The massive automated warehouse reminds me of the smaller but still equally epic one at the now demolished Mobil Oil plant in Birkenhead.

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That is well smart mate, awesome photos and an education all at the same time. Fair play to the research put into this (y)  

:comp  

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
legend!! thats a nice bit of epic right thur mr maniac, and some banging photos to boot, top bloody shelf mate :)  

Conrad

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wow there is some seriously heavy machinery in there. Epic stuff.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Don't know what I was expecting... but it wasn't that! That roller is incredible  :D2:  

Epic mate, nice work  (y)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thats fucking impressive boys! Perseverance always pays off in the end and like you said very well executed. Christmas and new year is great for exploring, so much more chilled. 60MPH though that machine, thats mental. Really like this! Well done (y)  

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
CRIKEY!! Great to see inside this place, i found an article on the place just before the kent meet and wondered if it was empty yet. Top job lads!!! :)