Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Battle Hospital - Reading - May 2018

SouthCoastUrbex

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my footage of Battle Hospital in Reading. I visited in May 2018 and the explore went extremely well as we managed to search the entire site without any interruptions and oh my what a place to explore!

A Little History

The site was created in 1867 as a Workhouse which went on to be known as the Reading Union Workhouse. They added an infirmary to the site between the years of 1889 and 1892 which added the space for an extra 185 beds! Amongst the First World War it was then known as the Reading War Hospital. It was then in 1930 that it became Battle Hospital but it's not over quite yet as in 1952 they built a new maternity unit which was known as Thames Block and then in 1972 they built a new block called Abbey block so by 1993 Battle Hospital was able to accomodate 280 beds however this was not great compared to the 760 beds at Reading's other hospital, the Royal Berkshire Hospital.

It was then in 2005 that Battle Hospital closed it's doors for the final time with all the patients being transferred over to the Royal Berkshire hospital in a new block which would be known as Battle block.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully you found something of interest :)

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Hi @SouthCoastUrbex - you asked for some constructive feedback in your welcome thread, so i'll fire away with mine.

The good bits.

1. You have a half decent location, I havent heard of it before so am interested to see it.
  2. You have entered a decent bit of history, thats always a good start.
  3. There is no distracting music to the video.
The not so good bits.

1.  Videos in my opinon without any shred of audio to them have very little value. You notice I pointed this out in the good bits of the explore, and thats because its usually a pretty fine line between being distracting and adding value. Commentry is golden ticket. This report would tell a far better story in picture format as you have made a decent introduction with history.
  2. Its way, way too long. No one is going to keep watching a YouTube explore (especially with no narrative) for more than a few minutes.
  3. If you hadn't specified in your intro what the explore was, I wouldnt have a clue.

SouthCoastUrbex

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dubbed, 

Appreciate the feedback! Starting to get back into the motion of recording videos as places near me went dry but a fair few locations are popping up now so looking to upgrade camera for better quality. I prefer uploading raw footage as you then get to see exactly what we saw. 

I appreciate the feedback though, so thank you.?