Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Best conversions - 2013

D

Dubbednavigator

Hi All

As much as we all hate to see our beloved shrines of dereliction, they all eventually either get ripped down or converted

A lot of these are good, and a lot of them are very, very bad

What are the best ones you have seen?

My favourite has to be Nethernene on the hill. Located just down the road from cane hill

Its a beauty

Hall

villagehall.jpg

Admin

old_admin_building.jpg

Water tower

water_tower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats cool and agree its always good to see when the conversions are done well

which isn't very often

:D

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Have you got any before pics Dubbs?

S

Scattergun

It's a beautiful site. Personally i hate such historic, monumental places becoming horrible flats for the rich, it's a bit of an insult. Better than complete demolition though, at least they'll live on. Find it ironic that most of the people who appreciate the construction, purpose and beauty of these buildings are the ones that can't afford to move into them.

D

Dubbednavigator

No mate. This was created before I even started primary school..... weren't many cameras about then

I would generally agree that they look shite. West park for example looks largely awful. This however has retained most of its structure and the tower is lovely

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Chartham Asylum just outside Canterbury was one of the first to close in the 1990's and was converted very shortly afterwards, that's a great conversion, but I've never taken any pictures.

From what I've seen, Stone House appears to have been done quite well, but again I don't have any pictures.

I've not really come across a badly done one, developers seem to know what they're doing when they do choose to keep the original structures.

D

Dubbednavigator

The corridor of fairmile looks really good actually

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
It's funny to think that had things been slightly different for these Asylums after closure we could have been exploring places like Horton and Manor in Epsom, Netherne, Littlemore, Chartham instead of Severalls, West Park, Cane Hill, Hellingly etc. One wonders what they would have been like, whether there would have been equivalents for West Park and Cane Hill.

I know I would have loved to have seen Littlemore after it closed as it is only 2 miles away from me and I've never seen another Asylum like it