Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Brewers yard mine - april 2014.

AlanMowbs82

OS Full member
Reaction score
Well onto my last visit of the day down in wiltshire, 3 of 3.

This entrance was a bit dodgy and being only two of us my missus didnt fancy coming in so i went in on my own, the entrance had dropped quite a bit since last year not leaving much of an access point so the worry of getting stuck in is quite a big one, the mine has an upper and lower part but sadly i only got too see some of the upper part and the staircase to the lower level, didnt go through the hole to the lower level as my missus was waiting outside and id told her id only be about an hour so didnt want her getting worried and calling the police lol.

so again another one ill definitely be going back to with a few more people to be a bit safer as i really want too see the lower part and have a proper look around.

bit of borrowed history :

"A very unique former Bath stone quarry, the quarry is small in size but has some interesting features. The quarry comprises of two levels which are connected by a stone staircase and a vertical shaft connecting both levels with the surface. There are many blocks of Ashlar which were stacked up but never moved to the surface.

A very steep and narrow slope shaft leads down in to the upper layer of the quarry. Once inside there is a narrow stone staircase which leads down in to the lower level of the quarry.

In the lower level many sawn blocks of Ashlar are stacked up but were never removed, this was possibly due to a collapse at a smaller shaft in the centre of the mine preventing the removal of the stone."

enjoy

alan.

DSC_8509-CopyMedium_zpse9845e29.jpg
DSC_8511-CopyMedium_zpsa9cd24c7.jpg

DSC_8510-CopyMedium_zpsaa74268a.jpg

DSC_8506-CopyMedium_zpsbc81dd95.jpg

DSC_8505-CopyMedium_zps10159f81.jpg

DSC_8507-CopyMedium_zps5efe5133.jpg

DSC_8516-CopyMedium_zps80fc3e33.jpg

DSC_8518-CopyMedium_zps9dfd52bb.jpg

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nicely done mate..everytime i saw reports from here i thought i really should go have a look,So i did and to be honest didnt bother getting my camera out,but its a nice little wander ;)

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Like the look of this one, thanks for sharing :)

:comp

AlanMowbs82

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks, it's certainly a bit fun getting in :-/.

Steve didn't you give your head a good bang at this one?

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks, it's certainly a bit fun getting in :-/.Steve didn't you give your head a good bang at this one?
i may have ,ive banged my head a fair bit in wiltshire so its hard to recall which and where :)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Lol to above ^^^ Great shots and looks like a good stab at Wiltshiire & works for me (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
another great selection ! :)

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Novel way for getting the stone out, using a pram (y)

Nice work!