See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Great Britain Brogyntyn Hall, 'House of Tears.' April 2017

Vulex

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I posted a report, so here is my first of 2017. I hope you're all doing well. 

History (wiki)

It was a residence of members of the princely dynasty of the Welsh kingdom of Powys and one of the taî'r uchelwyr (houses of the gentry) in late medieval Wales. It subsequently came into the possession of the Ormsby-Gore family (Lord Harlech). Its English correspondent is sometimes given as Porkington. A manuscript known to have been in the possession of Brogyntyn in 1574 was a copy of the Hanes Gruf(f)udd ab Cynan. The house itself is of brick dating from circa 1730 refaced and much added to between 1813–20 by the architect Benjamin Gummow.[3] It is noted for a portico of four giant unfluted Ionic columns with scrolls and pediment. Outside can be seen an arch with 2 pairs of unfluted Ionic columns. In the entrance hall survives an elaborately carved fireplace dated 1617.

Brogyntyn Hall and its 1,445-acre estate, was sold by the 6th and present Baron Harlech in 2001 for less than £5m to a local developer, who divided up the estate, and investigated the potential for a retirement community development in and around the Hall.[4][5] However, the Hall and 234 acres went up for sale for £5m in December 2013.[6]

Last edited by a moderator:

urbexpm

Reaction score
Great use of the light  there, some beautiful shots. Is there entry at ground level now or just the first floor? Apologies if I shouldn't ask in the comments.

The_Raw

Oblivion State Supporter
Reaction score
Great use of the light  there, some beautiful shots. Is there entry at ground level now or just the first floor? Apologies if I shouldn't ask in the comments.

Yeah best discussed via PM cheers (y)  

The_Raw

Oblivion State Supporter
Reaction score
Good to see this pop up again, amazes me they still haven't done anything with it yet. Such an amazing property going to waste :(  

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
Reaction score
Really Reaaly nice that chief m8ty .. Lovely stuff.. Guess i need get my finger out also lol...

Ferox

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Good to see something from you again bud. That second shot is class mate, really nice. 

Lara

Reaction score
Lovely, such a beautiful place this :)  

Urbexbandoned

Reaction score
Really nice to see this again, still haven't got around to seeing it though! First shot is ace! 

klempner69

Reaction score
Fabulous shots,particularly number 2.Well done and thanks for sharing