Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Burnley Empire - March/July 2013

Camera Shy

OS Full member
Reaction score
Visited this location a couple of times, once solo and once with - Host

The Empire Theatre in Burnley was built for W. C. Horner of the Victoria Opera House in Burnley and designed by the architect G. B. Rawcliffe, who had previously designed the Victoria Opera House in Burnley. The Theatre opened on Monday the 29th of October 1894 with a variety show and could originally seat 1,935 people.

In 1909, it was taken over by James Pringle and films were then part of the programme. The auditorium was reconstructed in 1911, to the plans of noted theatre architect Bertie Crewe and seating increased to 1,808. Re-opening on 11th September 1911, it then remained the leading theatre in Burnley until 1930.

New owners took over and it was converted into Burnley’s ‘Superior Talkie Theatre’. Some use was made of the stage over the years, but it was mainly now used as a cinema.

The Empire Theatre was closed in June 1955, but reopened under the independent Buxton Cinemas chain in December 1955. Sold to the Star Cinemas chain in December 1958, it became a bingo club in the mid-1960’s, when the bingo operation was transfered from the nearby Palace-Hippodrome Theatre.

The last use of the stage at the Empire Theatre was on 29th October 1966, after a weeks run of the Burnley Light Opera Company production of “The Merry Widow”. In the 1990’s it became a Gala Bingo

Club, and remained so until they moved to a purpose built bingo club in another part of town in 1995.

The Empire Theatre was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage in 1996. Here in 2013, the building still stands unused.

theatre4r.jpg

BEmpire.jpg

theatre9r.jpg
theatre7r.jpg

theatre2r.jpg

theatre5r.jpg

theatre3r.jpg

theatre6r.jpg
theatre10r.jpg

theatre8r.jpg

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Now thats really really nice, love that :D

Paulpowers

OS Member
Reaction score
Now that's nice

I can almost hear the tourist buses pulling up already

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Great write up and quality images

Thanks for the share

(y)

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
great set, i love it in there, been a few times over the years myself. floors are suffering badly with dry rot

Camera Shy

OS Full member
Reaction score
great set, i love it in there, been a few times over the years myself. floors are suffering badly with dry rot
That's putting it midly mate :eek:

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
i know lol, the place is ruined, and its a shame all the art deco lights had gone from my first visit here many years ago