Welcome

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Join

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Buxton lime works - March 2015

Fekneejit

Reaction score
So, my first splore, after looking around some local sites I decided to go somewhat suburbex & take a trip to the Peaks.

The lime works were set up in 1901 next to the quarry just to the south. Been closed since mid 50s.

After some streetview stalking I'd decided to go across the farmland in to the quarry, & find the buildings from there. I ended up missing one of the most impressive buildings, no bloody idea where it's hiding, but only realised I'd missed it when I got back. More to check out too, I'll be going back where there are more leaves on the trees.

So stumbling over fields following a footpath that just kind of disappeared, I found the edge of the quarry & saw this...

limeworksfirstlook.jpg

So after a quick panorama I got my bearings, worked out the way down to the industry, & headed straight for the biggest bit of concrete...

limeworksbuttress.jpg

limeworkspanochop.jpg

buxtongraffiti.jpg

limeworkssun.jpg

limeworksmoody.jpg

buxtonbuckets.jpg

...& checked out the entrance building.

buxtonoutbuilding.jpg

I had another couple of that, but they came out shit. Oh well.

I'd worked out by then that the large section appeared to be a railway siding, which I'd not realised before, so followed the old track bed along towards the existing line, & stumbled across this, which I'll check out more next time I go, I didn't get around to seeing what it was like from the top.

buxtonmore.jpg

Plus a little lean-to, covering the entrance to a weird cave room maybe 2m x 3m, again camera fail inside, but...

buxtoncave1.jpg

So, then I found a railway line, my map told me if was a "mineral line", I'd been within earshot for the last 2 hours with no trains, & there was maybe 100 metres to a tunnel, rude not to right?

pigtortunnel.jpg

pigtortunnelinside.jpg

So after walking back to the old lime works junction I decided to go back up to the top, & that's when I found what seems to be someone's private cave excavation...

buxtoncave2.jpg

For rough scale the vertical clearance once the loose rocks (which look like they were put back in) are removed, is almost exactly my shoulder width, but I'm 5'5 & skinny. What looks like a pile of cleared earth & rocks by the entrance, blocking casual view of it but looking fresher than the surrounding earth (ie not covered in moss). The passage carries on round a corner & out of view (decent torch), who knows...

Up top, around the other end of the quarry there's the odd relic...

buxtontank.jpg

buxtonmore2.jpg

Now I know my way around I'll be going back sometime later in Spring.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenston

Reaction score
Good pictures there for your first post mate, glad you had a good day out, on wards and up wards (y)

Fekneejit

Reaction score
I'll probably go back with a shopping list of shots I missed :D

That huge concrete siding is going to become my panorama playground I think, so many weird things I can do with the geometry of the place...

Fekneejit

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad that one went well, I tried another panorama around the same place & it didn't work, if they'd both failed I'd have had to go back tomorrow...

hamtagger

Reaction score
Good to see you getting the first explore under your belt mate and you've got some great looking snaps. Enjoyed reading the narrative too (y)

As Lenston already said, its onwards and upwards from here! Good stuff mate, looking forward to more :)

Fekneejit

Reaction score
That's the building I realised I'd missed once I got home! I've since found out it's been demolished, pity...

Silent Hill

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
That's the building I realised I'd missed once I got home! I've since found out it's been demolished, pity...
That's a crying shame. The Aztec styling was rather unique.

Fekneejit

Reaction score
Well, I say I found out it's gone... It was mentioned in a comment on another site. I didn't see any demolition rubble that could account for something that size, so either they really tidied up or I still missed a spot.

Where is/was that in relation to the other buildings? I'll be going back soon to do the Monsal Trail.

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
That's a decent report for a fekneejit :D2: Looks like a really cool little place and that other building looks very interesting too if it's still standing (y)

Silent Hill

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Well, I say I found out it's gone... It was mentioned in a comment on another site. I didn't see any demolition rubble that could account for something that size, so either they really tidied up or I still missed a spot.Where is/was that in relation to the other buildings? I'll be going back soon to do the Monsal Trail.
If you walk up the track from the road! Turn right at the top and this comes into view....

skeleton key

Reaction score
I really do like the look of this as nothing like getting out in the frest air, having a good wander and see what you can find (y)