Welcome

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Join

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Cae Coch - Dec 2014

Morrisey

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Been here a few times now and still the place ceases to amaze me, it's as mad as a bucket o frogs!! The water that cascaded down through the mine seems to have stopped flowing, resulting in less bacterial growth and a lot less colour, still worth a visit though.

Some history;

The mine was acquired by chemical manufacturers, Thompson & Hill, who were in the process relocating their sulphur manufacturing activities from their old works at Wapping to a new and more productive works at Vauxhall in the port of Liverpool. This was to mark the start of a boom period for Cae Coch.Initially mining remained on a small scale with only two face workers and two surface workers employed.

The first pyrites was ready for shipment in June 1821, a mere 100 tons and the result of several years labour.

Production of pyrites from 1821 to 1833 stayed at around twenty tons per month, with almost the entire output being shipped direct to Liverpool. From 1834 production increased to about eighty tons per month until 1843 when it was reduced to about thirty tons per month.

The entrance

Fresh air

skeleton key

Reaction score
Looking good to me and love that third from last as just makes you want to see what lies ahead.

Well lit and cool write up Stu ;)

Thanks for the share bud (y)

Will Knot

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Hey, fancy seeing you here ? ;)

Looks decent report that does matey....plenty of colours, nice. :p

Hope to see plenty more where that came from....... :D

Lenston

Reaction score
Top stuff as per usual mate, good to see you on here and give my regards to scrawper :)

:comp

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Looks really good this, photos are spot on (y)