Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Can anyone recommend this camera???

Ryda

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Ok, Im a complete amateur, but

On a quick google search, The aperture only goes up to 5, it doesnt have the option of detatchable lenses, and the shutter speed only goes up to 8 secs.

That means 8 secs would be your longest possible exposure, so light painting wouldnt be great unless you was bloody quick! The fact it doesnt have detatchable lenses means your a bit stuck at what you can do with your photos, but also means you have eliminated the problem of dust getting in the lens.

For the price it aint too bad, because if you want a top end cam your looking at quite a bit, and if its for your birthday I dont want to suggest a 800 quid cam because ill have Oldie on my back haha.

But at least you will have something easy to learn on, I started off with a Olympus E10, which doesnt have detatchable lenses, and I think the maximum shutter speed was something like 8 or 16 secs.

Shadow

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
I'd say it was well worth it, 10mp for £120, bargin, wide angle as standard too. Fuji mini slrs (as I call them) are very good for starting photography. I started with an S5600 which then went to Jesus and then to one of our friends. However the 8 Second max shutterspeed would be a bit of a ballache, you really want something with AT LEAST 15 secs, the S5600 for example. If you can afford it get an S9600.

Ryda

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
This is the point ill hand you over to one of our professionals haha

Fuji are usually the best at -as shadz put it- mini SLRs. Then you've got the big boys Canon & Nikon, problem with those 2 is that this forum is divided, and for example, I love my Canon, if you spoke to Fluff, she'd say get a Nikon lol

superwide

Reaction score
It was only around 6mp and about 4 years old, before it sank in folkestone harbour. RIP

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

Reaction score
I think you'll quickly find the limitations of a camera like that, and crave for the features of an SLR within weeks. I did when I brought my Fuji Bridge camera about a year ago. Within about 3 or 4 weeks I had hit the limitations of it, and really wanted the features of an SLR. I had to wait about 6 months to actually afford to buy one thou.

What I would do is look for a second hand SLR like a canon 350d (which is what I have) It may be a few years old now, but find one in good condition and it will serve you well for many years to come. It has everything you need from an SLR, it's relatively small and lightweight as well, and can be found on e-bay for under £200.

One thing to remember is mega pixels are not everything. All to often I see people focus on the megapixels of the camera, but it really isn't as important as some people perceive, it's just a feature that camera manufacturs push to naieve consumers because it sounds impressive. More megapixels does NOT mean better quality pictures. The number of megapixels is only really important if you want to severely crop the photo, or blow it up to epic proportions. If you're not doing either of the forementioned, then something around thr 6mp mark will serve you well, and indeed can even yeild better pictures than a higher mega pixel camera.

Further reading on the mega pixel myth is here http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

There is some other great advise on that website as well. Worth a read. (y)

Maniac.

EDIT: Further reading here http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/techn ... pogue.html

Ryda

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
RIP camera.

Yeah you've done bloody well to get that much light in a 3 sec exposure Superwide, I'd love to have seen you trying to light all that with your torch. Arms flailing everywhere!

30" is what you need if you want to create a stickman or lightpaint swirl a tunnel. I think the 30" exposure is the main point Littlo will need in his cam as Oldie said.

superwide

Reaction score
RIP camera.Yeah you've done bloody well to get that much light in a 3 sec exposure Superwide, I'd love to have seen you trying to light all that with your torch. Arms flailing everywhere!

30" is what you need if you want to create a stickman or lightpaint swirl a tunnel. I think the 30" exposure is the main point Littlo will need in his cam as Oldie said.
The advantage of having a 100 led torch, as you say it was no good for swirls and the like. I was just trying to point out that it can be done, just costs a fortune in battery's to power the torch. :lol: