Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Can you recommend a torch

Sime

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Just recently I've missed out on a few shots such as tiny rooms with no windows / dark corners etc. because of not having enough light. The flash doesn't really work too well on my camera because it just makes hard shadowy areas and isn't flexible. I have a torch but it has a really hard central beam and not much around the edge.

Can anyone recommend a torch with a good dispersal of light and which is easy to carry around?

Thanks a lot!

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
24563648026_81136dcbc5_c.jpg

:D

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
People always harp on about P7's etc but i can only really comment on what i use myself which is a Gerber Onyx 50. It does the job for the places i go to but at a guess it'd be useless in a darker, say underground place. Probably best not to use a flash anyway mate so i hope someone can recommend a decent one for you :)

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
I am in desperate need of a new torch and am looking at my options as well, they all seem rather expensive :mad:

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
If you are wanting a relatively cheap one there's a offer on in costco, 2 750 lumens torches for £13 and they are surprisingly good, very bright! 

Curious George

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
LED Lenser P7 or P7.2 is pretty much the de-facto standard for urban exploration. 

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
whats just about to post that maniac! :D ordered myself another one, can never have to many torches :p  mightaswell be bloody sponsored by lenser!

Sime

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
It arrived on Saturday - I've had a play around with it and its amazing! I have a shuttered up cottage to visit this week so I'll take it along and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys!

Gromr123

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I'm a whore for bright torches, my brightest one is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sidiou-Group-Searchlight-High-power-Bright-Flashlight/dp/B009YVYFES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454887628&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+torch+8000+lumens

In terms of lumens for money, can't beat it.

Also a Video Light like this with an orange filter is awesome for lighting up rooms with natural looking light. Not sure how many lumens it is, but its much brighter than my 400 Lumen Led Lenser M7.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-CN-160-Dimmable-Ultra-Camera/dp/B004TJ6JH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454887832&sr=8-1&keywords=cn160

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
+1 for the video light if it's for lighting rooms, they disperse the light a lot better to avoid horrible shadows.

Sinister Suspect

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
+1 for the video light if it's for lighting rooms, they disperse the light a lot better to avoid horrible shadows.

Yeah I use one of those LED video lights with a diffusion filter, no hard shadows and still plenty of light. Only downside is that with big lenses you can't put it on the camera hot shoe since it will create a shadow from the lens, so I'll just aim it by hand. :)

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This may be reviving a very old thread again, but the subject remains somewhat fresh.

I bought a P.7 on amazon for £25, its a fantastic torch, but it does eat batteries rather well. Some like it when a torch just gives its best until the battery is out, and some like it gradually fading - this is definately the latter.

Problem is if you dont use it often, and it gradually goes, you end up forgetting how good it actually is! it also takes 6x AA batteries, so not the cheapest to run overall.

On the other hand, I paid £10 on a BOGOF offer for a huge great big maglite about 6 years ago. Its not as bright as the lenser by far, but its still going!