free hit counter
Canon Road Section (ARP) Ramsgate, kent, Dec 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Canon Road Section (ARP) Ramsgate, kent, Dec 2013

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Another one of those that I've been wanting to do for years, It became common knowledge as to where the entrance was and after a tip off I thought it was high time I paid this last section a visit !

A little history about the Ramsgate ARP tunnel network;

The design and construction of the tunnels was masterminded by the Borough Engineer Mr. R.D. Brimmell B.Sc. A.M.I.C.E. as early as 1938, but was repeatedly turned down by the Home Office. Ramsgate's flamboyant Mayor of the time A.B.C. Kempe kept the pressure on, and with the increasing intensity of the war in Europe permission to start construction was given in the Spring of 1939.

Work started immediately at a cost of just over £40,000 plus a further £13,500 for services and fittings. The first section between Queen Street and the Harbour was opened by the Duke of Kent on the 1st June 1939.

The tunnels were 6 feet wide, 7 feet high and constructed at a depth of 50-75 feet to provide an adequate degree of protection against random bombing with 500 lb. and 1000 lb. medium capacity bombs. In the case of a direct hit, a 500 lb. bomb would not be expected to damage the tunnel; but some spalling (splintering) of the chalk would be expected if the bomb was a 1000 lb. medium capacity type and the overhead cover was less than 60 feet.

After the end of World War II a large sewer pipe was installed in part of the system under Ellington Road and continued down to the Harbour. The remaining entrances were sealed and the tunnels began to fall into disrepair.

And some of my pics from the visit ;)

CannonRoad030_zpsc8bf3918.jpg

CannonRoad040_zps588542ea.jpg

CannonRoad041_zpscf1fd9e4.jpg

CannonRoad042_zps52904d1b.jpg

CannonRoad044_zpsbccfc94b.jpg

On the 24th August 1940 Ramsgate received more than 500 bombs when a squadron of German aircraft were approaching Manston. Their leading aircraft was shot down over the harbour and in vengeance they decided to release their bombs over Ramsgate. This was the first air raid by the Germans on an unprotected town.

On that fateful occasion countless lives were saved by an underground Air Raid Protection (A.R.P.) system of tunnels dug for the purpose. These tunnels extended for approximately 2½ miles around the town with 11 entrances at strategic points providing refuge within 5 minutes walk of most areas. A 1500 yard long former railway tunnel was also used and linked to the A.R.P. system. The tunnels were equipped with chemical toilets, bunk beds, seating, lighting and a loud speaker system. Many people took up residence below ground having lost their homes above. Others used them just for shelter or to move around town during a raid.

CannonRoad057_zps958d86ac.jpg

CannonRoad063_zpse9986786.jpg

http://s768.photobucket.com/user/si...d Dec 2013/CannonRoad058_zps736d2282.jpg.html

CannonRoad058_zps736d2282.jpg

CannonRoad059_zpscdd80207.jpg

CannonRoad068_zpsaa848fb2.jpg

CannonRoad072_zpsd7e1349e.jpg

And finally a nice bit of original Graff that I spotted despite running around muttering expletives like a loon :p

CannonRoad069_zpse998bb43.jpg

A fantastic night had by all, thanks for checking out my Pics !

(y)

Banshee =}

OS Member
Reaction score
Well worth the wait ... Cracking stuff =}

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Superb bit of underground there SR, cracking shots :)

:comp

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice work and looking good.

Great write pics and looking like a good time (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
nice set there fella (y)

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
Cracking stuff mate, ya lighting is ace, great write up to go with = win win

Munch

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Love the simplicity of this shelter. Thanks for posting it :)