free hit counter
Germany - Chocolate Factory / Factory for health food products (10/2020) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Germany Chocolate Factory / Factory for health food products (10/2020)

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de

schokofabrik.jpg

Born in 1873, Carl, founder of the factory for health foods, was originally head chef at Prince Albert, Prince of Monaco. While loading the princely steam sailboat, Carl had an accident and sustained serious injuries. Thereupon he returned to his German homeland and turned to a healthy lifestyle - he only ate vegetarian food, stopped drinking alcohol and went hiking a lot. In 1899 he founded his first health food store and in 1910 he published a book about "practical health food". During one of his hikes he came across a derelict blacksmith shop, which he acquired in 1912. First he built a weekend house there and then his factory for health foods next to the house.

Carl died in 1964, but already in 1929 his son Ralf took over the management of the company. Production continued even during the war. From 1952 the factory mainly specialized in the manufacture of various chocolate products.
Ralf died in 1991, after this the factory was closed in 1992. Altought partly already in decay, the house next to the factory was still inhabited for many years (by Ralf's widow or daughter, I don't know), a quite aggressive woman, before she had to leave the property in 2018 after a foreclosure auction. The house was bought by an architect. For whatever reason, he only made optical cosmetic repairs on the facade, but without renovating the house itself, and today the building is completely abandoned again. So the house has continued to fall apart a lot and most of it has already collapsed now.
In May 2020 an attempt was made to sell another part of the factory premises in an auction, but to the best of my knowledge no buyer was found.

My first visit to the chocolate factory was in 2013, and even then it was in a ramshackle condition. In the meantime the roof has collapsed and the buildings are so dilapidated that they can hardly be saved.
I usually don't tell very accurate historical dates and I remove company names, etc. from my photos so as not to make the location of the places obvious.
However, the chocolate factory already has been very well known for a long time and you can find hundreds of pages of it on the web with photos, even after searching with the simplest keywords. So it would be nonsensical to cover up anything here.

bild01.jpg

bild02.jpg

bild03.jpg

bild04.jpg

bild05.jpg

bild06.jpg

bild07.jpg

bild08.jpg

bild09.jpg

bild10.jpg

bild11.jpg

bild12.jpg

bild13.jpg

bild14.jpg

bild15.jpg

bild16.jpg

bild17.jpg

bild18.jpg

bild19.jpg

bild20.jpg

bild21.jpg

The residential building

bild22.jpg

bild23.jpg

bild24.jpg

bild25.jpg

bild26.jpg

bild27.jpg

bild28.jpg

bild29.jpg

Last edited:

Archimedes

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice impressions ... considering the light situation in the buildings!

Respect!

::Archimedes

Satori

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
What a wonderful reportage, something brings me back to Willy Wonka !!

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
Nice impressions ... considering the light situation in the buildings!

Respect!

::Archimedes

Thanks @all!

Sometimes I had to expose my shots there longer, because it partially was pretty dark inside. But even with a longer exposure time some of the photos were still quite dark in original, so in addition I edited the RAW shots on the PC to lighten them up a bit.

Last edited:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Wow, very derpy in places but what a great collection of artifacts :)

Great photos too (y)

jane doe

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Beautiful photos what an amazing place to explore :)

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
The factory has been sold recently. I don't know what will happen to it; in my opinion, at least the buildings can no longer be used because of its state of decay.
I have read on Facebook today that the halls are currently being cleared, some of the cars have even already been removed, like the VW Beetle. The green VW bus was for sale on eBay for 500 euros (but the offer is no longer online, so it may have been sold meanwhile).

Last edited:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That's amazing Andy! Brilliant photos