Post a report or anything else to the forums

See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Great Britain Church of St Andrews/(St Costas) Church, Huddersfield - Jan 2019

Landie_Man

Reaction score
Visited as the second site on mine and @Mooksters first Northern Road Trip of the year.  We had failed several sites that day, and the day was coming to a rather murky and rainy end; but before we plumbed the hotel in for the night; we went to this short, sweet and rather destroyed church; the lone survivor of its time, sitting on its lonesome behind a Costa Coffee Drive Through and opposite a Travelodge Hotel.  

As we did a quick shoot of the inside; we could hear afternoon shoppers stopping by for their takeout coffee and cake fix making their orders over the drive through intercom.  We even enjoyed a couple of cold drinks inside the shop after we came out of the church right next door!

The building was put to tender in March 1869 with the stone-laying ceremony taking place on 21st July. 

The church, provided 550 sittings at a cost of £4,167 and was built of stone from the local Crosland Hill quarries.  Initially the Clerk of Works was Mr Jonathan Parsons;subsequently succeeded by Mr Phillips. Consecration took place on 10th August 1880.

The church was built by a local architect and protected by local laws from demolition and has remained empty since 2004  

More At:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157679116734258/with/40308289993/

Urbexbandoned

Staff member
Forum moderator
Reaction score
That looks huge from the outside, I like the tiling on the floor :)  

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Forum moderator
Reaction score
Not too shabby mate. 

There's something I quite like about being in a derp and observing people going about their ordinary business just outside! 

OP
Landie_Man

Landie_Man

Reaction score
Not too shabby mate. 

There's something I quite like about being in a derp and observing people going about their ordinary business just outside! 

I’ve always found that amusing. No idea you’re in the derp lol. 

The_Raw

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
I quite like that mate. Some nice features in there even if it's a bit knackered

OP
Landie_Man

Landie_Man

Reaction score
It was a nice; atmospheric place. But it is going downhill id say 

seaside_rambler

O.S Friend AAA
Staff member
Forum moderator
Reaction score
Always fun to be lauging at the general public from inside, looks alright this, not a bad place to end a day of fails :)