Cliffe Fort April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Visited with Obscurity and Storm

Nice relaxed day lots of walking and a moment where we may have been told off for slipping under/between a conveyor belt..Nice little food break up top and no drams,Just a pleasant explore,and i love this place,allways looked at the pics just never got round to doing it,so when Obscurity said his plans had changed did i fancy a day out i jumped at it...

Borrowed history from underground kent

Built in the 1860�s, Cliffe Fort is one of the three Thames Side Forts that were designed to defend that Thames Estuary. It was also built to work in conjunction with Coalhouse Fort in Essex to prevent a hostile fleet reaching London via the Thames.

Construction of the fort was difficult due to the marshy ground that the fort is built on; cracking and subsidence caused many problems for the men working on the fort. More surprisingly, this marshy ground was also home to malaria mosquitoes, which made life even more difficult for the construction work.

The fort was designed solely to cater for the armament of the day and the guns that were installed on Cliffe Fort were 12.5� and 11� RML�s, weighing around 35 tons. Protection of these guns was provided by granite faced casemates with shields for added defence. These shields, casemates and the rails on which the gun carriages stood are all still visible today.

In 1885, Cliffe Fort became the site for an experimental harbour defence system known as the �Brennan Torpedo�. This was the world�s first wire guided missile. Originally there were two sets of launching rails, but only one remains today. As progressive as this system was at the time, it was replaced 25 years later in favour of quick-firing (QF) guns.

Cliffe Fort remained armed throughout both World Wars, but was sold after the end of the Second World War to a local cement company. As a result of this, the fort has sadly been neglected and has fallen into a fairly advanced state of decay.

On with some pics

DSC_0077_2.jpg

DSC_0073_2.jpg

DSC_0060_1.jpg

DSC_0046_stitch.jpg

DSC_0045_3.jpg

DSC_0039_1.jpg

DSC_0037_4.jpg

DSC_0036_2.jpg

DSC_0025_4.jpg

DSC_0023_6.jpg

DSC_0016_4.jpg

DSC_0015_5.jpg

DSC_0012_7.jpg

DSC_0011_5.jpg

DSC_0010_8.jpg

DSC_0009_5.jpg

ne from a few Months back

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
The place looks realy nice looks like a mad max film set lol

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Yep gonna pop down and have a slice of that bud for sure (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Have quite a list i need to get in around that area and wanna do some team location bustin lol :beer:

just so much in ur area know you guys are prob bored with it but thats the way it works lol (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Have quite a list i need to get in around that area and wanna do some team location bustin lol :beer: just so much in ur area know you guys are prob bored with it but thats the way it works lol (y)
Oh id go back here mate,im slightly screwed at the moment as the emergency situation in germany has cleaned out my piggy bank

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
No worrys will get some bits sorted and i know for some its not so easy but gonna arrange a weekend meet for those interested and can make it .

Splore some locations select a good over nighter then grab a few more in the morning to clear heads etc so can travel safe etc :cool2:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
No worrys will get some bits sorted and i know for some its not so easy but gonna arrange a weekend meet for those interested and can make it .Splore some locations select a good over nighter then grab a few nore to clear heads etc so can travel safe etc :cool2:
Sounds fair to me mate!

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Cant believe I missed this, Very nice indeed, Think I saw and commented on it over on the "Significant Other"

:lol:

BadBatz

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one man. I thought you just lived underground now!

Status
Not open for further replies.