free hit counter
Collyweston Bomb stores, Peterborough - Feb 2014 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Collyweston Bomb stores, Peterborough - Feb 2014

Paulpowers

OS Member
Reaction score
I was heading back from Peterborough and decided to pop in as on my last visit I didn't get around all the sheds.

It looks like there is now some work going on in the large bomb shelters, lots of the graff has been painted over and the smell of fresh paint still hung in the air

The bomb storage bunkers were each intended to house two Blue Danube thermonuclear bombs on their trolleys and were fitted with an internal crane gantry to carry the 7.32 metre-long casings, which contained all of the circuitry, detonators, initiators and enriched plutonium required. The fissile cores were stored separately in the adjacent core storage buildings and were only loaded into the bomb casings immediately before they were needed, to provide the critical mass which would result in detonation of the main charge. In 1953 the perceived British stockpile requirement was 800 bombs each yielding between ten and twelve kilotons of explosive power. There are several hundred such munitions bunkers on British post-war airfields, most of which did not house nuclear devices.
I managed to get around and got a bit of video as well but like a knob I was looking through the view finder and not where my feet where while stood on one of the stores and went for a bit of a fall, luckily my shoulder took the brunt of the fall and I saved my camera but dislocated my shoulder.

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
cool Paul nicely done shame your buggered your shoulder though at least you live to fight another day thanks for sharing :cool:

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff mate !, hope the shoulder is all better :)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Another cracker PP

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
I like the look of that and sounds like its going back into some kind of use.

Hope ur on the mend with the shoulder bud.

Cheers for the share (y)

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Quality stuff Paul, great share fella and a top set of pics

(y) !