What's new

Post a thread

Post a report or anything else to the forums

See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Coulsdon Deep Shelter March 2014 (Visited Dec 2013)

sentinel

O.S Friend AAA
Reaction score
Hi guy's went for a solo visit back in December 2013

A nice place to spend some time.

History

This large public air raid shelter is one of four which were proposed and built by Surrey Council at the beginning of WW2, the others being at Epsom Downs, Ashley Road in Epsom and Kenley.

The plan was to build 3 parallel longitudinal tunnels into the chalk hillside with 4 parallel lateral tunnels linking them.

The plan was never fully carried out with two of the longitudinal tunnels stopping in a sheer white face of chalk.

After the war the shelter was mothballed and lay empty until a firm that made precision lenses for telescopes took them over. The constant temperature was ideal for the processes involved and the long tunnels perfect for testing the focus of the lenses. Sadly the dampness and coldness was not conducive for the electrical sockets and precision machinery so the ever-inventive workers reverse wired a fridge so it would act as a dehumidifier and keep the condensation levels down.

Eventually the optical firm moved out and was replaced by a motor vehicle repair workshop. After some time they also moved out and the shelter was mothballed and sealed shut again.

If I have made any mistakes, please inform me ass I have a few more past explores to put up.

Thanks in advance and as usual I am always open to constructive criticism and advice.

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
Reaction score
Nice first report there bud! , cool graf !

:comp

p.s : spot on report layout too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
Reaction score
Nice report mate shame to see the spray paint gang paid a visit ,i dont remember seeing that down there before

sentinel

O.S Friend AAA
Reaction score
Cheers for the positive comments guy's. Have a few more reports to posts which I'll do over the next couple of days :D

Lara

Reaction score
Nice one, cracking shots, shame about the graff though. Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
Reaction score
Really love to see this one for myself one day, really enjoyed looking through your pics and reading the excerpt at the beginning !

Thanks for sharing

(y)