Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Creaky Floors Asylum 2016

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I was suppose to visit this location with several friends 7 yrs ago but it got cancelled and I don't recall why. Then shortly after people were getting arrested here and it was off the list by most explorers. A couple years ago photos started popping up from here so I planned a visit. The only bad part was I no longer lived a couple hours away and was now about 7 so it was quite a trip. I managed to get here twice thankfully and these photos are from both trips. It's a very old campus which was started in 1828 for the rich mentally ill and other buildings were built as time progressed. For a time they practiced eugenics here which then became outlawed.  The  asylum closed in the 70's  and was vacant till years later when a few of of the buildings were used as a medium- security prison.  It was then sold to a developer who has converted  several of the buildings to apartments and continues to do so.  This place is most known for it's lovely spiral staircase in the admin building. It seems most come here , shoot that and leave.....but there's so much more here that is photo worthy in that building as well as the others. It's impossible to walk quietly in here as the old wooden floors creak with every step...it was really annoying trying to be stealthy. Also a lot of the floors and walls are leaning so badly that at times it felt like you were in a fun house with the odd angles. However having said that everything is in excellent condition here with only a few minor areas with some water/weather damage. Side note the patient cemetery is also located on the grounds which is in this set.

nw1.jpg

sv13.jpg

sv15.jpg

sv17.jpg

sv20.jpg

sv21.jpg

sv22.jpg

sv24.jpg

sv28.jpg

sv29.jpg

sv43.jpg

sv45.jpg

sv46.jpg

sv48.jpg

sv49.jpg

ch1.jpg

storm.jpg

walk.jpg

ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

ws4.jpg

ws7.jpg

ws10.jpg

ws13.jpg

ws17.jpg

ws18.jpg

ws27.jpg

shower.jpg

sv6.jpg

sv14.jpg

ws28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Wow what an amazing looking place, definitely worth that 7 hour trip!! Spiral staircase is stunning but i can see what you mean about the place having loads more to offer in other areas. The chapel is nice too and i wonder is there a nice mortuary slab behind that barred door? :)  

Great report again @peanutbutter_crackers  (y)  

:comp  

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Great report! Really liking that staircase and the graveyard looks interesting too ?

Thank you! The graveyard was pretty cool and I didn't get to visit it the first trip. When I did get to it was the end of the day and a big storm was approaching very fast. We had to run for cover as it started to pour and thankfully there was a nearby shed otherwise all our gear and us would've been soaked.

Wow what an amazing looking place, definitely worth that 7 hour trip!! Spiral staircase is stunning but i can see what you mean about the place having loads more to offer in other areas. The chapel is nice too and i wonder is there a nice mortuary slab behind that barred door? :)  

Great report again @peanutbutter_crackers  (y)  

:comp  

Thanks! Yes it definitely was worth the long drive. The chapel I think was about the same age as admin as it is appeared just as old with the woodwork and such. Unfortunately no slab here. It doesn't appear there ever was a morgue here or if it was maybe it was in the other buildings that were converted. Now that I think about it there was no medical looking areas so perhaps that's what happened

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
What a gorgeous place. Honestly, i'm stunned.

Its rare to find examples (at least reported on) that are this generous on the eye. Pleasure to read and look at.

I also think its a blessing that the tour bus seems to stop on the staircase, its pretty doubtful that the rest of it would still be standing (albeit on an angle) if it didnt.

Can only imagine the reason it was abandoned in the first place was subsidence problems if its in that sort of shape currently, but still, its had some good use over the years.

Thanks for sharing this @peanutbutter_crackers

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
What a gorgeous place. Honestly, i'm stunned.

Its rare to find examples (at least reported on) that are this generous on the eye. Pleasure to read and look at.

I also think its a blessing that the tour bus seems to stop on the staircase, its pretty doubtful that the rest of it would still be standing (albeit on an angle) if it didnt.

Can only imagine the reason it was abandoned in the first place was subsidence problems if its in that sort of shape currently, but still, its had some good use over the years.

Thanks for sharing this @peanutbutter_crackers

Thank you for the compliments on the photos! Yes it's blessing the bus stopped at the staircase here. I believe that building is the next to be rehabbed and maybe turned into a hotel/spa from what I read. And as far as it's closing they moved to a new facility which I believe now is also abandoned as of recent. I'm glad you enjoyed the report and photos as well :D

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
That's an awesome report...again! Great to see somewhere I haven't seen before. 

Sure the stairs are a showstopper but there's obviously loads more to see. And you've got plenty of stunning shots from using thoughtful composition. 

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
That's an awesome report...again! Great to see somewhere I haven't seen before. 

Sure the stairs are a showstopper but there's obviously loads more to see. And you've got plenty of stunning shots from using thoughtful composition. 

Thank you very much!   :)  Glad you enjoyed the post!

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
Great report and very nice pics. The spiral staircase is fantastic. But you're right, the other areas of the former asylum are also worth to visit. I like the chapel very much, too.

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Wow thats quite something, I love that tiled green bathroom shot. So much to see here and although it was a 7 hour journey doesn't it make it more meaningful when you really have to go the distance. That spiral staircase is super nice. Cracking :)  

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Great report and very nice pics. The spiral staircase is fantastic. But you're right, the other areas of the former asylum are also worth to visit. I like the chapel very much, too.

Thanks Andy. Yes so many other things to photograph here and there was a couple I didn't get into due to workers being near the first time. The second time we ran out of time as we had another 5 hour drive to go to another spot. The chapel was one of my favs as well. 

Wow thats quite something, I love that tiled green bathroom shot. So much to see here and although it was a 7 hour journey doesn't it make it more meaningful when you really have to go the distance. That spiral staircase is super nice. Cracking :)  

Glad you liked the photos as well and thanks!  :)  There was a staircase similar in style in two other buildings...not spiraled but the woodwork/spindles and newel post were the same 

obscureserenity

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The graveyard was pretty cool and I didn't get to visit it the first trip. When I did get to it was the end of the day and a big storm was approaching very fast. We had to run for cover as it started to pour and thankfully there was a nearby shed otherwise all our gear and us would've been soaked.

Thanks! Yes it definitely was worth the long drive. The chapel I think was about the same age as admin as it is appeared just as old with the woodwork and such. Unfortunately no slab here. It doesn't appear there ever was a morgue here or if it was maybe it was in the other buildings that were converted. Now that I think about it there was no medical looking areas so perhaps that's what happened

You're welcome! It's good you got to see it the second time round and your gear didn't get ruined! Would love to go out to the states and see some of the asylums there ?