free hit counter
Crystal Palace High Level Subway - London - Aug. 2014 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Crystal Palace High Level Subway - London - Aug. 2014

E

extreme_ironing

Hi =]

Been meaning to check this place out for awhile and finally got round to it last weekend! The subway is almost all that's left from Crystal Palace High Level Station, a terminus on a now destroyed line, which lead directly into the back of the Crystal Palace. Passenger numbers fell after the destruction of the palace and the station was finally knocked down in the 60's. The subway survived the fire that destroyed the palace and was used as an air raid shelter during the war. Since then it's been for the most part inaccessible due to health and safety concerns and took a little bit of ingenuity to get down there. :]

Not really quite as much fun but I understand there will be a small raffle to get access for London Open House next month.

Looking down on the courtyard on the park side of the subway.

HioHMTK.jpg

One of the stairwells downwards.

tXf98VY.jpg

Looking out at the courtyard.

4QSpdv6.jpg

The subway.

FBvxBfJ.jpg

Looking out towards park.

VD6daG1.jpg

32Ls0sm.jpg

Celing detail.

FYfQKMl.jpg

Station side entrance to the subway, had a laugh trying to squeeze thru a gap here while some kids laughed at me from house opposite. :D

WvTlH7d.jpg

Original retaining wall where the tracks would've once run.

p9pGAgt.jpg

Here's the Paxton tunnel going under Sydenham Hill, was seriously locked up so not getting in here anytime soon. ;/ Understand the other side is bricked up and a tunnel further down the line is similar, but need to check it out sometime in case.

uV2Zb82.jpg

Just a small explore but really enjoyed it none the less. Have my full set up on my website, Thanks for looking. :]

Last edited:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Hitting the ground running and a post up already is always a win :D

Ive always ment to get my butt over and take a look at the subway as love the look of what remains.

Thanks for the share (y)

:comp

Gregx

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
very nice pics

i like the 5th the most,BOMB picture

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
That is a flipping beaut!! I just love that park and the history surrounding Crystal Palace. Thanks for sharing and cracking shots :)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It may be small but pretty damn epic and one I hadn't seen before. The pics are bang on the money, top job and keep em coming :D (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
lovely stuff, want this place :D