Contact the team

D.O.E tunnels - Dover - 16/04/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Popped back here the other night with Cave Zombie, and this time I photographed the place. :D

I missed a lot on previous trips, the place is a lot bigger than you first think it's going to be, and there's a lot more detail and features than I first remember seeing, so much so I thought it was worth me posting my pics this time!

1. The main tunnel at the rear of the complex. This is the most impressively built part.

Image-002.jpg

2. Not sure if these were just to support the ceiling, or served their purpose as vents or what.

Image-005.jpg

3. Arch Enemies. There's loads or arches in the brick work, then more arches built into those, there's bits like this all over the place.

Image-008.jpg

4. Stair case leads down to the live railway tunnel to Dover Docks. 4 trains went past while we were in there making the whole place drone with the noise, it really was quite eerie.

Image-009.jpg

5. It's bricked up at the end.

Image-012.jpg

6. Cave Zombie in shot for scale, it really is much bigger in there than you first think, and the ceiling where the chalk has collapsed is a lot higher still.

Image-015.jpg

7. More collapse

Image-016.jpg

8. Another unusual ceiling structure. This one isn't a complete dome, and just has little pillars of brick work supporting the chalk.

Image-018.jpg

9. Me :D

Image-020.jpg

10. Unline bit at the end allows you to see the structure of the tunnels clearly. It was almost as if they were never finished.

Image-022.jpg

11. The whole place is a maze of little tunnels like this, all interlinking much bigger tunnels.

Image-024.jpg

Image-028.jpg

13. More archways

Image-031.jpg

14. Some parts are still used as storage.

Image-033.jpg

Image-034.jpg

Thanks for looking!

M

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Brilliant pictures for a brilliant site, well done mate. I'd love to see these on my next Dover trip. I know we keep saying we should organise one, should see if we can get a small band together on a weekend now that its lovely weather, perfect for a Dover explore!
To be honest, I'm sick of Dover. Sure there's lots to see, but I've been to all the places there too many times - this is the first new place for a long time that I've looked at. However depending on the detinations, I may well show my face, but I'm afriad someone else will have to organise it.

edit: That sounds well bad actually, could have phrased that a little better.

Thanks for the comments on the pics :)

Mike

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
great photos dude, good to see fyou got back down with your camera! its a great place! :D

CAVE ZOMBIE

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
was a good site the police van on the way out was funny glad he didnt see us

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
did you not venture thru the brickwork into the burnt out section that ceiling is huge

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
did you not venture thru the brickwork into the burnt out section that ceiling is huge
I did, but I didn't photograph it.

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
I did, but I didn't photograph it.
gotta admit that was a knightmare section ..lots of foamy looking spores on the floor and a bugger with me torch to light.. :)

Swamp_Donkey

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Right then, who wants to take me? I didnt even know this exsisted :D :dunno2: . Think i need to get my arse down Dover again. I swear the cliffs are hollow

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Right then, who wants to take me? I didnt even know this exsisted :D :dunno2: . Think i need to get my arse down Dover again. I swear the cliffs are hollow
The cliffs are indeed hollow..couldnt say when myself or uncle b would be free todo a revisit as well we get out together but once a week and generaly try and get something new to us done but im sure someone closer to dover could show you around:)

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'd love to have a look in there. Steve, I'm coming to visit you in the summer!

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Bring on the good weather, there's plenty we can show you Shush !

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.