Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Derby Royal Infirmary December 2013

suburbankarma

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Visited with a non OS forum member as part of an organised meet on another well known UE forum. Met a few other small groups on the way round and the local kids that use the place for hanging out and skating were ever present in the grounds.

Not being the most agile person these days I managed to take home a good deal of bruises from several comedy entrances and exits. Not really the most subtle of entries on a busy Saturday afternoon but fun all the same.

This was my first hospital explore and probably the most modern of all the places I've visited so far so I wasn't too sure on whether I was going to enjoy it or not as I tend to prefer places a bit more industrial. That said I really enjoyed this even though parts are absolutely trashed while other parts don't seem to have been touched. There's a good deal of old and new to keep anyone happy.

Didn't cover half the site I wanted to so will be taking another trip back sometime soon.

History

The Derby Royal Infirmary was built on the site of the city's first hospital, the Derbyshire General Infirmary, built between 1806 and 1810.

During the year that he was Mayor of Derby, Sir Alfred Seale Haslam managed to replace the old William Strutt Infirmary with the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary.

In 1890 there had been an outbreak of disease at the old infirmary and Sir William Evans, President of the Infirmary arranged a three day inspection which condemned the old building. When Queen Victoria came to open the new hospital on 21 May 1891 she knighted Haslam for his services and gave permission for the term "Royal" to be used.

The hospital started to transfer it's services in 2009 to a new hospital built on the other side of the city now known as the Royal Derby Hospital.

The latest scheme to transform the former hospital has been put forward by housing firm UK Regeneration (UKR) who wants to build 300 much-needed homes for rent on eight acres of land between London Road and Osmaston Road that it will buy from Derby Hospitals NHS Trust.

UKR says it intends to retain the iconic towers that formed the end of two of the Royal Infirmary's early-1900s wards and the trust has confirmed that statues of Florence Nightingale and Queen Victoria on the site will be retained.

The DRI also has a link to celebrated nurse Florence Nightingale.

The nurse, who was born in Florence, Italy, but was mainly raised in Derbyshire, is most famous for her role treating the wounded during the Crimean War, imposing high standards of hygiene on makeshift wards.

But she also had a role advising on the redevelopment of the Derbyshire General Infirmary in the 1860s. That led to the famous nurse, dubbed The Lady of the Lamp, being immortalised by a statue there. The whole development site has now been named the Nightingale Quarter in her honour.

On with the photos...

1. Dishwashing equipment in the kitchens of the main building.

_MG_2061_zpsd34ba830.jpg

2. Fire Alarm Plan

_MG_2089_zpsb8bc72d7.jpg

3. Main Corridoor

_MG_2113_zpsbcbf40ed.jpg

4. Drains and Underground Walkways

_MG_2125_zps913cd05f.jpg

5. Glass Flasks and other equipment

_MG_2155_zps1bb10b9d.jpg

6. Microscopes

_MG_2161_zps7fac8071.jpg

7. Pathology - completely trashed

_MG_2200_zps822dcfc1.jpg

8. Biochemsitry

_MG_2202_zpsd01cd82e.jpg

9. Blood Fridge and Lab

_MG_2206_zps36fd07e8.jpg

10. One of the two 1900 towers

_MG_2235_zpsdf2c255a.jpg

11. X-Ray Room

_MG_2263_zps4fa2aa1c.jpg

12. Barnums - Childrens Ward

_MG_2275_zpsf075ef2f.jpg

13. Lift Cage

_MG_2279_zpsdda17a2d.jpg

14. Perjury Saint woz 'ere ?

_MG_2320_zps346feae2.jpg

15. Bedside Lamps

_MG_2334-2_zpsf107ab4c.jpg

16. LInen Cupboards

_MG_2351_zps91a9b46e.jpg

17. Pipework in the Attic - pitch black up here and thanks to the person that left a fresh Mr Whippy that I narrowly missed standing in !

_MG_2355_zpsf97baefe.jpg

18. Old Medical Journals and Books

_MG_2363_zps18f7d068.jpg

_MG_2373_zps21f4f950.jpg

19. Old Signage

_MG_2390-2_zpsbe4bc0cf.jpg

Thanks for looking - full set here :)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice indeed !, cheers :D and ace writeup !

:comp

Last edited by a moderator:

ImmortalShadow

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one, glad you found those books in the attic! It's a right timewarp up there.

I should crack on with editing the shots I took here BEFORE Christmas!

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
veeeery nicely done mate, pictures are great doesn't look to trashed either, nice little write up to win win :cool:

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Oh my, very nice shots indeed and cracking write up! I too get smothered in bruises, cuts and scratches, I wake up the next morning feeling like I've gone 10 rounds with mike Tyson! But I love it!! Thanks for sharing, enjoyed this :)

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Like this very much, plenty of interesting stuff by the looks.

suburbankarma

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one, glad you found those books in the attic! It's a right timewarp up there.I should crack on with editing the shots I took here BEFORE Christmas!
Cheers IS, that was my fave part of the mooch, didn't attempt to go on the roof as it was windy. Look forward to seeing your photos :)

suburbankarma

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Oh my, very nice shots indeed and cracking write up! I too get smothered in bruises, cuts and scratches, I wake up the next morning feeling like I've gone 10 rounds with mike Tyson! But I love it!! Thanks for sharing, enjoyed this :)
Thanks Lara, new years resolution is to get a bit fitter and more agile so I don't take so many bruises home :) can't work out why I always feel so knackered after a trip out though and I'm always starving when I get home too :)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
You can see there's parts that are trashed and smashed but there's plenty to work around and capture.

Cool shots and write always a winning combination.

Cheers for the share

(y)

Reaction score
Looks a good explore that, and an interesting bit of history, I never knew about the Florence Nightingale stuff (y) Lovely shots thanks for sharing :)

Bungal

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
some cracking shots there...