Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Germany Diamond Brewery Magdeburg 2022

Grindle

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Starting life in 1843, the Diamond Brewery was the brainchild of two brothers, Albert and Hermann Wernecke. They started by brewing in their parent's kitchen.

pastedGraphic.png

Expanding dramatically over the years, this is not I repeat not an image of their parent's kitchen. The brothers died, the brewery changed its name: Actien Brauerei.

Lidl.

Don't ya just love Lidl, quality food and very reasonable prices, sometimes I visit Lidl (we have four in my hometown), just to mooch the middle aisle. The middle at Lidl rules OK.

They also have very generously sized car parks, which are free for customers. Yeah well needs must, two bananas later and I am staring in awe at the brewery, which was conveniently about 100yds away.

pastedGraphic_1.png

pastedGraphic_2.png

So I spent quite a bit of time outside......trying to find a window to climb through or a door "to fall against."

pastedGraphic_3.png

pastedGraphic_4.png

pastedGraphic_5.png

pastedGraphic_6.png

lovely wrought iron stairs and I love the long drain pipe

pastedGraphic_7.png

And there it was a magical hole, complete with somewhere to rest for those queuing to get in.

pastedGraphic_8.png

Lovely a dark basement, I don't eat carrots so I don't have uber night vision.

I sit. I wait. I let my eyes adjust. Silence.

pastedGraphic_9.png

Well bugger me!
I shall not go into great explanation but let's just say when the buckles are released I guess you would have a rather sore pooper

pastedGraphic_10.png

An empty bottle of solvent based liquid nearby, Not poppers but maybe just maybe.....every little helps. It certainly predates the eu directive on labelling harmful substances which came into being in the early 90's.

pastedGraphic_11.png

If my moral compass was not always pointing North, that would be framed and on the wall of my study by now. That is History, celebrating 150 years of the Diamant Brauerei. The building I am in ceased production early in 1991, but continued in a different location in Magdeburg.

pastedGraphic_12.png

Speaking of different locations let's wander a bit

pastedGraphic_13.png

pastedGraphic_14.png

pastedGraphic_15.png

"Dear customers!
The beverage market is closed on 2.2.92."
"The beverage market of Sieverstor strasse is open from 8am -2pm"

pastedGraphic_16.png

Wandering aimlessly, I have to say, the corridors of darkness, until eventually finding my way to the business end of the complex

pastedGraphic_17.png

pastedGraphic_18.png

pastedGraphic_19.png

pastedGraphic_20.png

pastedGraphic_21.png

pastedGraphic_22.png

Another floor, another little bar of sorts. Going down again and some big big empty spaces

pastedGraphic_23.png

Just making out the footprint of where vats or vessels of some description stood

pastedGraphic_24.png

pastedGraphic_25.png

Teagle openings high up on the wall and some sturdy old steps to go back up again, follow the arrow I guess

pastedGraphic_26.png

pastedGraphic_27.png

pastedGraphic_28.png

pastedGraphic_29.png

pastedGraphic_30.png

So without much effort at all the door opened quite easily, they say "curiosity killed the cat", even with my limited German I understand the message

pastedGraphic_31.png

Although I understand what went on in the basement, I am not sure what went on in here; it is obviously part of the brewing process. It is just a guess, but given the conical shape of the structure I believe I was at the top of the tower as seen in the snap below.

pastedGraphic_32.png

pastedGraphic_33.png

But looking at the floor I did not venture beyond the threshold; if that mesh gives way then...... "Hi, I am the reaper of souls, and your is mine", would be the last words I would have heard. So I retreated.

pastedGraphic_34.png

pastedGraphic_35.png

pastedGraphic_36.png

I love old German Fonts, so artistic in their own way

pastedGraphic_37.png

pastedGraphic_38.png

pastedGraphic_39.png

In 1941, it was the largest brewery in Saxony employing just under 700 individuals and produced, it is reported, 5 million gallons of beer in that year.

“Stadt und Land trinkt Diamant!” was the enduring slogan

pastedGraphic_40.png

The site continued to produce beer right up until 1994, it has remained abandoned ever since.

pastedGraphic_41.png

What a magnificent place to visit, no floors fallen through, and more importantly I did not get bummed!

Lidl here we come.

BikinGlynn

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Looks a great fun explore that one, with a bonus bondage table to boot

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Those buildings are stunning. Especially love the tower