free hit counter
Belgium - Diesel Power - Belgium - February 2016 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Belgium Diesel Power - Belgium - February 2016

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Back in February myself, @The_Raw @extreme_ironing and @Merryprankster took a little jaunt over to Belgium. First on the list was this little diesel power station, mainly because of the comedy access, but it was a pretty cool little place to explore. 

As power stations go it wasn't a big one, but it was in perfect condition and is clearly looked after although rumors that it could be started up and used again are most likely false as the control room and other areas are completely dead and there's bits and pieces missing so it would take a fair amount of work to re-commission the place. It's such a small station it probably wouldn't be economic to do so. 

This power station was a blackstart power station which means it could be started without the aid of external power from the grid. All electricity grids need a certain number of these type of stations to get going again in case of a catastrophic failure. 

It was built in 1976 and generated 83MW of power, which isn't a lot. It closed in 2012. 

Here's my selection of photos from the trip. 

IMG_6588_zpsvoxsxtih.jpg

IMG_6601_zpsxovgif6s.jpg

IMG_6571_zpszev3tulc.jpg

IMG_6543_zpsnws29tcx.jpg

IMG_6545_zpstxwe1ulm.jpg

IMG_6551_zpshupb7efg.jpg

IMG_6556_zpsggbpmzle.jpg

IMG_6596_zps8tlbl8iu.jpg

IMG_6562_zpsxpffzpau.jpg

IMG_6572_zpsie4ubksc.jpg

This was pretty cool, a glass table suported by two of the massive pistons from the diesel engines. The stores were full of them, they weighed a ton, literally! 

IMG_6583_zpswcfen3op.jpg

IMG_6618_zpsokrkybeu.jpg

IMG_6609_zpsoygutb3l.jpg

IMG_6607_zps0v3qco6y.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Maniac. 

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Lovely pics here, looks like a good mooch mate :)  

:comp

Paradox

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Ha awesome way in here isn't it! :) cracking pics you got there :)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well that deserves a holy fuckballs x 10 m8ty  :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I'm seconding the holy fuckballs x 10! Brilliant pics.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)  for once I was reasonably pleased with my photos, the light in here was pretty cool as well. 

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Excellent mate, love those bursts of colour throughout the place. It looks ever so clean and looked after as you said. I love the fact that all of those tools are just hung as they were.

Top marks (y)  

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Crikey that's awesome maniac  :shock: . Liking the second shot the most and i'd love one of those tables :)  

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Excellent mate, love those bursts of colour throughout the place. It looks ever so clean and looked after as you said. I love the fact that all of those tools are just hung as they were.

Top marks (y)  

The tool board was one of my favourite bits as well. You can always tell how well liked a place was by the state of the engineers stores and tools. If they are well organised, clean and tidy then you know the people that worked there were probably quite proud of their jobs, because it's reflected in how well organised their work spaces were. I always think of the engineers who meticulously laid out that tool board in the first place, it's totally bespoke for the place and really well made.

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Awesome shots mate that place looks lush!! I want one of those piston tables  :eek:

chambre

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I know what I'll be dreaming of tonight...