Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Down Street Station, Piccadilly line, London - 2015

Charlie Tango

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post on here so I do apologise if I have missed anything that I should have included in this post!

Down Street is a disused station on the London Underground, located in Mayfair, central London. It was opened in 1907 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway. It was served by the Piccadilly line and was situated between Dover Street (now Green Park) and Hyde Park Corner stations.

The station was little used and trains often passed through it without stopping. Its lack of usage coupled with its proximity to other stations resulted in its closure in 1932. During the Second World War it was used as a bunker by prime minister Winston Churchill and his War Cabinet. The station building survives today and is close to Down Street’s junction with Piccadilly. Part of it is now converted to a retail outlet, with the upper floors being leased as office space.

This was an above-board, authorised visit. I really must advise that security has been beefed up considerably since a few years ago and anyone entering without permission or following correct protocol is likely to have their houses turned over by the police, no jokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrT

Reaction score
I had a chance of a ticketed tour here, £85 LTM said. Ill take the house being turned over for free option thanks, whos coming? Nice photos though dude, i do love the underground  (y)

Charlie Tango

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
£85 is a joke mate, but they still managed to sell all the tickets!

I totally agree with you though, wouldn't catch me paying that either- especially since the LTM tours didn't even show you the whole station, they totally miss the platforms at the end where the train shots were taken, and have a ban on tripods and "professional looking" equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrT

Reaction score
£85 is a joke mate, but they still managed to sell all the tickets!

I totally agree with you though, wouldn't catch me paying that either- especially since the LTM tours didn't even show you the whole station, they totally miss the platforms at the end where the train shots were taken, and have a ban on tripods and "professional looking" equipment.
Ive been on the charing LTM tour, its so rushed. Nearly cried paying £35 for that. But they are on to a winner, all tickets what ever the price sell out quick. They have relaxed the "professional looking" equipment rule, take what you like now. Still no tripods though.

Urbexbandoned

Staff member
Forum moderator
Reaction score
You managed to get some pretty awesome shots mate (y)  

it's a shame they are charging too much but they will always sell. Nice work (y)  

:comp  

The_Raw

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Some great shots there, surprised they let you go quite so close to the moving trains. Could you stick a month and year in the title please or let us know in a comment and I'll add it. Cheers (y)  

Charlie Tango

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Can we just leave it as 2015? Whilst the entry was official and we have relevant permissions to be there I don't want to draw attention to anyone... I'm sure you understand ;)

-Raz-

Reaction score
Nice report mate really like the brickwork, I need some LU stations in my life :D  

AndyK!

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Love all the old tiles and the train trail shots are great

DirtyJigsaw

Reaction score
Very cool shots, and yeah, im surprised they let you so close to the moving trains. Cool report

Charlie Tango

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. Will be sure to post some more stuff on this site when I get time. Got a load a few more abandoned stations etc that should be of interest  (y)

scrappy

Reaction score
nice shots mate. I really want to get some underground stations done. But I like my house, I know where everything is hahaha

The_Raw

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Can we just leave it as 2015? Whilst the entry was official and we have relevant permissions to be there I don't want to draw attention to anyone... I'm sure you understand ;)

Yeah sure no probs, look forward to seeing more stuff (y)  

Maniac

Reaction score
Hey :)  Welcome to OS @Charlie Tango I managed to miss you joining and posting! 

You're a lucky bugger seeing this, I've not managed this one yet. ;)   Great set of photos there, it's got to be one of the nicest abandoned stations this one. 

Hydro

Reaction score
Loving that mate, really do want to get down into these derpy stations at some point... However reading the above comments there is no way in hell im paying £85. Id rather take my chances with the law lol.

Some really good photos there, especially the ones of the trains passing through (y)

The Wombat

Reaction score
I always enjoy reading reports on the old underground stations....

And this is a most excellent report! Enjoyed reading & photos

Good work