Contact the team

Belgium Factory G - June 2019

Urban Relics

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.urbanrelics.be
The first two times I stood in front of this building, there was no way in. Luckily I am not one to give up easily. And as they say: three time's a charm. The third time I was here a back door was open. There were no signs of a forced entry though. I'm still not clear on the how and the why of this open door, but I do consider an open door as an invitation to come inside and have a look around. It was fun! I Hope you'll enjoy the pictures...

A bit of history:

Factory G is a grain warehouse with a dual function: storage and aeration. The building was equipped with two front facades with two towers, in which the grain was transported via “Jacob’s ladders” (a vertical conveyor system with a circumferential belt on which a continuous series of trays is mounted). Once at the top, the grain was transported via conveyor belts to the 144 vertical silos in the middle part of the building. The building suffered considerable damage at the end of the Second World War. The repair was a good opportunity to build a new and larger distribution floor. Three double portal bridges of reinforced concrete were installed in this open space as a function of horizontal transport. The silo buildings were admired and praised throughout Europe for the revolutionary way in which they could sort, treat and store grain.

FactoryG01.jpg

FactoryG02.jpg

FactoryG03.jpg

FactoryG04.jpg

FactoryG05.jpg

FactoryG06.jpg

FactoryG07.jpg

FactoryG08.jpg

FactoryG09.jpg

FactoryG10.jpg

FactoryG11.jpg

FactoryG12.jpg

FactoryG13.jpg

FactoryG14.jpg

FactoryG15.jpg

FactoryG16.jpg

FactoryG17.jpg

FactoryG18.jpg

If you've made it this far: congratulations! You've suffered through the entire set! :) Thanks for watching!(y)

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Another cracking report, great pictures with a good write-up and history. Eeeeexcellent!