Contact Staff

Contact the team

Folkestone Harbour Station 22/02/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

superwide

OS Member
Reaction score
Myself and my friend D60 decided to go and have another look at Folkestone harbour, at least this time I had someone with a decent camera in tow.

A little about the station:

A branch line was built in 1844 leaving the main line at Folkestone Junction and was double tracked ending with a viaduct across the harbour itself. In 1847 a swing bridge allowed the line to reach the southern pier and in 1848 the line was passed by the Board of Trade for passenger use. The line was electrified at the same time as the main line during the "Kent Coast Electrification - Stage 2" in June 1961, and passenger trains were formed of Electric multiple units. Freight services were withdrawn on 17 August 1968.

In 1994, the opening of the Channel Tunnel led to the majority of ferry operators moving to other ports in the South East, with the result that only two services per day were arriving at Folkestone Harbour, to connect with the Hoverspeed SeaCat services. When these were moved to Ramsgate, Folkestone Harbour the station closed to ordinary rail traffic in 2001.

I really like this place, the only downside is the security, if you remain on the station/peir, all is good, but stray and he gets all upset ;)

Anyway, here are a few pics that D60 took.

The more modern end of the station:

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

The original part of the station used mainly for freight when in use:

DSC_0234.jpg

And the end of the Harbour wall:

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryda

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice little explore superwide you'll have to show me that one one day.

Good report aswell as good pics mate

superwide

OS Member
Reaction score
Yep broadband is back now, thank god, got a nice 20mb connection now.

PowerSurge

OS Member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice little explore superwide you'll have to show me that one one day. Good report aswell as good pics mate
Hey Superwide I'll be up for a visit to this place as well (From PowerSurge's Puny 16mb Connection :cool2: )

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Don't get me started on broadband speed, my previously good 8mbs Be Unlimited connection is currently struggling it's way up to this speed

416914962.png

Not happy :angry2:

superwide

OS Member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice little explore superwide you'll have to show me that one one day. Good report aswell as good pics mate
Hey Superwide I'll be up for a visit to this place as well (From PowerSurge's Puny 16mb Connection :cool2: )
I am sure this can be arranged sir.

I think I may have to have a work with virgin, looks like I am paying for 10mb that I ain't getting :angry2: and my upload is crap.

417239069.png

Status
Not open for further replies.