Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Fort Darnet, Kent - August 2014

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
A long overdue report from me, it's been a while, been having some time off exploring to do other things.

However, an opportunity to go and explore this place presented itself the other day, it was too good not to go really.

Fort Darnet is one of a pair of forts that were built in the 1800's on islands in the Medway estuary (the other being Hoo Fort). It was completed in 1871, but like a lot of these fortifications it never saw action and was disarmed before WW1.

In WW2 it continued in use as an observation platform, and after that war it was abandoned and deliberately flooded.

It was a bit of a mission to get here, we had several false starts over previous weeks trying to visit here, but eventually we made it. :) We wanted to do both Hoo and Darnet fort, but the tide only allowed us to complete one of them so Darnet was the one we picked as it was slightly closer.

You can only get to the lower parts of the fort on a boat. Sailing a little dinghy round an abandoned fort is a very surreal experience, you feel like you're discovering a lost kingdom somewhere, it was great fun!

I must mention that the boat, engine and even the idea was Liams, although I've wanted to go here for a long time. Effectively I just tagged along and helped a bit with the navigation. I also must add that if you're planning to visit, FFS have a boat with an engine like we did. You will not out paddle the tidal flow in the estuary, it's very very fast and I'm not exaggerating.

It's not very big really, but below are a selection of photos.

_MG_1710_zps227da53a.jpg

_MG_1690_zps4e8d46be.jpg

_MG_1716_zps092b8105.jpg

_MG_1740_zps09bc728d.jpg

_MG_1750_zpsd95fab2c.jpg

_MG_1753_zps39e3d45c.jpg

_MG_1775_zps0dae777f.jpg

Liam goes for a solo lap

_MG_1795_zpsb7098248.jpg

Nice view of Kingsnorth powerstation from the island

_MG_1784_zpsc8ea77a8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great day was had and plenty of fun.

Cool to see the level of effort and always with saftey in mind.

I surprised Liam didnt try and get his bike up there lol

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Like the look of this, might have to plan a visit soon :)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Respect for making it out there mate, that's dedication! Looks like a great day out and a fascinating place to see (y)