Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Garthland House , Renfrewshire 2013

TheBaronof Scotland

OS Member
Reaction score
This place has just had a major collapse in the building but I beleive the chapel is still ok

GARTHLAND House, on the outskirts of Lochwinnoch, was one of Renfrewshire's most majestic mansions. The greyish-pink Tudor-style architecture of the two-storey building was enhanced by a pillared porch, elegant stairway, ivy-clad walls, pedimented portico, soaring chimneys, sloping roof and exquisitely-carved dormer and bay windows.

Built in 1796 by David King for wealthy land-owner James Adam, Garthland was embowered by beautiful gardens embellished by manicured lawns, gravel paths, sprawling rhododendrons, towering conifers and fragrant flowers and herbs.

Sadly the historic house is now but a shell of its former self. Today it lies derelict, abandoned and boarded-up in woodlands now overgrown and neglected. Yet still the old mansion clings tenaciously to its proud history. Even in the midst of its devastation it is not difficult to imagine Garthland in all its architectural and horticultural glory.

Known originally as Garpel House then Barr House before becoming Garthland House, the regal residence was acquired by the Macdowall family who came initially from Garthland in Wigtownshire and were descended from the Lords of Galloway. During the mid-1930s, Henry Macdowall sold it to the Mill Hill Foreign Missionary Society that was founded. Garthland House was renamed St Jospeh's College by the Society and, during its heyday, around 30 young men were students there.

A three-storey dormitory block was added in 1936 followed by a beautiful brick-red chapel in 1943. Both the sleeping quarters and the chapel can still be seen today although, like the house, they have fallen into disrepair and are but fragments of their former selves.

1_zpscbf7d4cc.jpg

2_zps0a949a08.jpg

3_zpse69e93b5.jpg

4_zps6e2b09fa.jpg

6_zpsf73b9935.jpg

5_zps73362aed.jpg

I beleive this is where the collapse was (not suprising if I`m honest)

7_zps87850905.jpg

8_zpsc24b3ea6.jpg

Stairwell of 3 storey Dorm (stairwell was gutted with a fire, and the 3 story dorm was a dissapointment, but hey its the chapel that you are there for really)

9_zps5f2f0e3c.jpg

tell if too much of a write up, history is interesting but not everyones cup of tea

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
love love the reflection shot and the stair case, once again a great set of photos, a nice church is something i need to do !

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
that's another fine post love the shape of that chapel

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Love the reflections of the stained glass. You got any other pics of it, I love stained glass windows. :)

HitGirl

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice, churches have always been a favourite of mine :) xxx

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Now thats what i call Derp Baron

got some cools shots buddy & really do like this lots :cool2:

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
That's absolutely bloody stunning, great set of pics, loving the stained glass reflection pic, gonna have to find me a nice chapel

(y)

Ninja Kitten

O.S Friend AAA
OS Full member
Reaction score
lovely set there! thankyou for that great stuff :)