After the beginning of the 1860s gas was widely used as a means of lighting So the first gas works of Eisenach were put into operation on 1 October 1862. However, the line capacity was no longer sufficient soon, because the gas consumption had quadrupled from 1888 to 1912. Therefore, the construction of the new gas works began in 1898, and the old gas works were shut down in 1899.
The new gas works had its own rail connection for coal transport. In 1901, already more than 1.5 million m³ of city gas were produced.
In 1912 there were a total of 938 public gas lanterns in Eisenach. The street lighting cost 46600 marks per year, equivalent to 1.20 marks per inhabitant. In 1912, 150 gas lanterns were remotely ignited and extinguished from the factory. This saved considerable costs for lantern guards. 300 street lamps were still under construction.
In 1982, the gas plant's technical facilities were worn out and barely usable efficiently. For this reason, the gas plant was shut down.
Until 1990, the area was still used as a transfer station for coal trains. After that, the buildings were abandoned, since then, they disintegrate.