Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Gillingham Gas Holder No 3 - October 2015

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I've been waiting a long time to finally climb this. Not sure what took me so long, but I finally did it recently.

It's hard to find out much about this history of this one. All I know is this is gas holder number 3 (The spiral one that remains is gas holder No 4) and it was constructed sometime in the 1930's by the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company, which were known previously as The Rochester and Chatham Gas Light Company, formed in 1818.

I know it was in use up until the late 2000's as I used to drive past it every day and saw it at is various different heights as the gas volume inside changed. It is however now dormant, its function being replaced by the new high pressure gas storage facility that's been built next door.

This thing is a right royal pain to get to. There's 3 high palisade fences (Yes you heard me right, 3 fences) and an anticlimb grill on the staircase. They really don't want you to climb this thing, so climb it we did. (y) :D

Explored with new explorer marmiteonpizza from another forum.

From the bottom

IMG_3326_zpsvjxfm3ta.jpg

Staircase

IMG_3371_zpso7jj4v2v.jpg

From the top

IMG_3341_zpsbox0almg.jpg

Modern high pressure gas storage

IMG_3357_zpswnqeumbm.jpg

You can see the remaining holder No 4 here

IMG_3350_zps98uobsd6.jpg

No gas holder climb is complete without a selfie

IMG_3344_zpspq3fglce.jpg

Close up

IMG_3383_zpsniligruk.jpg

Thanks for looking

Maniac

Conrad

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Epic shots, I like the one that shows the 21st century solution to gas storage. Sounds like a fun night of palisade hopping

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Pretty cool that mate, rather you than me :)

:comp

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Really nice crisp shots there mate and fair play, you wouldn't catch me up one of those bloody things! :)

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Really nice crisp shots there mate and fair play, you wouldn't catch me up one of those bloody things! :)

They're really not that bad, this one in particular has a nice set of steps instead of a ladder to the top. (y)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks :) They're really not that bad, this one in particular has a nice set of steps instead of a ladder to the top. (y)
Well maybe I'd have a go in that case then, and maybe a parachute too just in case :D

DirtyJigsaw

OS Full member
Reaction score
Great set of pics. I need to get myself up one of these things

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
You're in London, there's no excuse! :D

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Some epic shots there [MENTION=208]Maniac[/MENTION], have you got your mojo back? :lol:

Ps. By the way marmite on pizza sounds like a disgusting combination, you can tell your friend I shan't ever be trying that :OMG:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some epic shots there [MENTION=208]Maniac[/MENTION], have you got your mojo back? :lol: Ps. By the way marmite on pizza sounds like a disgusting combination, you can tell your friend I shan't ever be trying that :OMG:
Cheers Damo. :)

Maybe so. Half my problem was not having anyone local to just pop out with, and the fact I just won't go places on my own. Hopefully be knocking a few places off the list soon. (y)

Yeah, not sure if that's top of my list either. I'm trying to get him to sign up on here. :)