Contact Staff

Contact the team

Grain Tower Battery - Sept 2011 - 2013

tank2020

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
An Oldie but a goodie.

Be careful what you say to your kids, you may just have to live up to your word, I may have said; in passing "what an experience it would be to stay in the fort overnight, completely cut of from land". Low and behold we try it.

DSC09354.jpg

DSC09360.jpg

DSC09362.jpg

DSC09375.jpg

DSC09370.jpg

DSC09386.jpg

Arrived on the beach in the towering shadow of the power station around 4pm. Ever tried walking over cobbles covered in slime, mud and full of rock pools, while carrying substantial survival essentials. quite comedic for someone watching I should think.

DSC09395.jpg

DSC09397.jpg

DSC09404.jpg

Had a quick look around the place, dodging around some pretty big holes in the floor. Whilst at the very top of the tower a group of about 6 or 7 people could be seen sliding over the cobbles, we sat aside and let them wonder, as we were going to have plenty of time to look. Had a good chat with a couple of them to, but didn't think to ask if they were on any forums. So hello if you are, a pleasure meeting you.

DSC09420.jpg

DSC09427.jpg

DSC09428.jpg

DSC09430.jpg

DSC09442.jpg

Just when we thought the visits were over, 2 young lads turned up to fish, but found the weirdos staying on the castle much more interesting. They proceeded to try and scare us with storys of police, lifeboats and dead soldiers. One lad securely re-fitted the ladder for us which he said he installed originally. I must admit I thought he was going to nick it, but credit due.

DSC09443.jpg

DSC09445.jpg

Sitting staring at the shipping going past, we noticed shadows darting across the floor, on closer inspection we found what seem to be woodlice, however they must have been special sea castle lice, as they were huge, big enough that you could see the individual organs within their transparent bodies, nice. (Later established that they are known as "Sea Slaters")

sea-slater.jpg

DSC09460.jpg

Midnight, decided to try and get some kip. However; who knew the sea moving up and down over hidden pipework and holes could make such a muddle of sound, from thudding to whispers, I think we managed about an hour.

DSC09500.jpg

DSC09501.jpg

DSC09517.jpg

Time to get up and finish the supplies, about a litre of hot chocolate and 3 Ham and Egg roles later, I managed to straighten my spine and check the tide. I must admit that as much as I enjoyed my stay I was looking forward to getting back to my bed.

DSC09534.jpg

Slip slide across the cobbles we look back and see the red of the sun breaking the horizon, lighting the quarter moon, casting a silhouette of the fort. I didn't care at this point, I didn't even take a picture; just carried on slipping back to my bed.

DSC09480.jpg

Good to think I'll have to do it again in a few years, once the little lady is big enough. Still time will let me look back with fondness I am sure.

Cheers

t2020

Last edited by a moderator:

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading that, and lovely shots and location :-D

:comp

Banshee =}

OS Member
Reaction score
What a enjoyable read :) and cracking location :) superb photographs :) all in all fantastic =}

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
So pleased to see this on here mate. I remember seeing it elsewhere when you originally posted it and I even linked it on my FB. Top stuff!!

www.nellyurbex.blogspot.com

tank2020

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
So pleased to see this on here mate. I remember seeing it elsewhere when you originally posted it and I even linked it on my FB. Top stuff!! www.nellyurbex.blogspot.com
Cheers, I haven't been up to much recently so thought i would put some good old ones on here to make a presence!

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats really good and think its great to see the kids coming out on the adventures too.

Thanks for the share T2020 Top man

(y)

Last edited by a moderator:

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
what a lovely report and read ! (y)