Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Grimsby Ice Factory - Feb 2015

AndyK!

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
The Grimsby Ice Factory was built in 1901 to produce ice for the fishing fleets. At the time refrigeration techniques were in their infancy and it was not possible to build chilling units onto a ship. Instead, ice was produced in large quantities on land and distributed onto ships before they left port. The fish they caught could then be packed in ice for the return journey.

Initially steam was used to power the factory, however as demand increased and the benefits of electricity were realised, the plant was upgraded to use electrically driven compressors in 1930. J&E Hall of Dartford, Kent undertook the task of replacing the refrigeration equipment and Metropolitan-Vickers of Manchester were commissioned to provide the electric motors.

Four of the J&E Hall’s compressors were installed initially, and a fifth unit was added in the 1950s during a further period of expansion. At its height, the Ice House could produce 1,100 tons of ice per day. This made it by far the largest ice factory in the world.

A decline in demand and new technologies for ice production led to the factory being scaled down in 1976. The factory closed down completely in 1990.

1. External

2. Compressor Hall

3. Compressor Hall

4. Compressors

5. Compressor detail

6. Compressor

7. Ice Tank Room

8. Ice Tanks

9. Ice Crusher

10. Ammonia Tanks

11. Valves

12. Compressor No. 5

I found some historic photos of the Ice Factory, so re-took the same shots to show a comparison of how it has changed. Many changes were made to the equipment over the years since these photos were taken, and the factory has become a mess since its closure.

skeleton key

Reaction score
Cracking shots there Andy and do like the look of this place.

Ive been meaning to take a look here myself for ages.

Love the now and then shots as gives great contrast.

Thanks for sharing mate (y)

:comp

MrT

Reaction score
Yeah nice report man. Im getting into the "now and then" photos. Some fecking dangerous floors in that place, worth it though! Gutted I missed that ice crusher.

hamtagger

Reaction score
Quality shots there as always, liking the before and after shots too :)

Cheers for postin'! (y)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
That's an epic report right there mate, looks brilliant in there and I'd say the pigeons quite like it too :p

Lara

Reaction score
Bloody brilliant that, love the before and after shots :)