Contact Staff

Contact the team

High Royds Asylum, Leeds - Feb & March 2015

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

High Royds Lunatic Asylum or the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum as it was originally called, is a former psychiatric hospital near the village of Menston in West Yorkshire.

The broad arrow plan asylum features a large array of stone built wards and interconnecting corridors most of which have been demolished leaving the majority of the old wards as independent buildings most now repurposed as modern apartments.

The most grand of these buildings, the old administration block which sits at the head of the complex is Grad II listed and is one of the last remaining buildings to be renovated. This building features a large central clock tower which still functions to this day and the main hallways are covered with Italian Mosaic flooring which is intricately decorated with the Yorkshire Rose and black daisies.

The Asylum opened on the 8th October 1888 and was in full use until a staged closer which began in 2003 following changes to the attitudes towards mental health care in the United Kingdom.

Our Visit

Visited withSpider Monkey, Matt Hampshire and Pete ‘Hands’ Costello on another successful SOCC outing :). I’d wanted to see this place for years and after numerous failed attempts in the past I had to take a look once it was back on the scene again. Clearly a lot more of the site has been renovated with only 1 or 2 old wards remaining along with the admin block which are all earmarked for conversion into apartments. Thankfully the Administration Building, the main target of our visit still had plenty of original features left to photograph and I wasn’t disappointed with what there was to shoot. Fortunately the main hall also remained and was accessible via the administration building as well as a few other corridors and kitchen / canteen rooms. Even though I would have loved to have seen this place it its prime I’m glad I managed to finally get to see a little part of it…

HighRoyds-1.jpg

HighRoyds-2.jpg

HighRoyds-3.jpg

HighRoyds-4.jpg

HighRoyds-5.jpg

HighRoyds-6.jpg

HighRoyds-7.jpg

HighRoyds-8.jpg

HighRoyds-9.jpg

HighRoyds-10.jpg

HighRoyds-11.jpg

HighRoyds-12.jpg

HighRoyds-13.jpg

Higher res copies of the above photos and a few more on my website: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2015/10/13/urbex-high-royds-insane-asylum-aka-high-royds-hospital-aka-west-riding-pauper-lunatic-asylum-menston-leeds-west-yorkshire-february-2015/

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Love no 11, nice to see some of those old back rooms too. Not many include those in their report. Crackin pics mate (y)  

that exterior is proper moody, shame about those boards :(  

:comp  

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Always like seeing pictures from here and these are damn nice (y)

Miss.Anthrope

Oblivion State Member & Raw's PA
OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant set!, 11 has to be my fave! 

Ferox

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Well captured mate  (y)  Really enjoyed it in here. 

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice one, anyone know what the deal is with this place these days??

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Me acid and stranton did it fairly recent @The_Raw m8ty. Allways remember the bloody dog walkers lol. Great pics by the way and nice report. Really love this place especially the slab rooms.

Last edited by a moderator: