Contact the team

IM Cooling Tower - Belgium - August 2013

Nobby

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
IM COOLING TOWER

Visited with members Chaos and non member Markymark

This was a small part of our little long weekend European Derp tour.

After a decent nights sleep in a campsite, a hot shower and belly full of Belgian wangers, beans and eggs we set off early to our first location of the day.

As we drove through this heavily industrial region of Belgium we got a good insight into the epicness of some of the industry in the area. It truthfully is amazing how much potential there is in Belgium, everywhere you look there is derps and industrial abandonment. In the end we decided to bin off the power station itself due to time constraints and wanting to see more preferable locations.

The Tower

The cooling tower is a hyperboloid style tower, they have become the design standard for all natural-draft cooling towers because of their structural strength and minimum usage of material, the hyperbolic shape of the tower enhances aerodynamic lift due to the wind passing over it which increases the air flow rate. The air flows into the openings in the bottom which rises up and cools the entering hot water. The cooled water cascades down to the bottom of the tower whilst the warm moist air exits out of the top.

In its hey day this tower would have been able to cool up to 480,000 gallons of water a minute.

Its a fascinating bit of engineering.

DSC_5773_zps2e3a3374.jpg

DSC_5741_2_3_fused_zps0b2b5d37.jpg

DSC_5791_zps2661cba5.jpg

DSC_5758_zps26143b81.jpg

DSC_5786_zps7eb07aab.jpg

DSC_5719-2_zps6b77d930.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
I wanna know whats down the hole!!!!

Quality report!!!

:comp

Nobby

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I wanna know whats down the hole!!!!Quality report!!!

:comp
LOL I was over the top cautious having a peer down there, green slippery moss of death, I reckon I could've scraped together about a meters worth of boot laces to get somebody out..... make for a good phot though "P7....DEPLOY.....BZZZZZZZ"

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
I do like the look of this place, nice shots :)

Reaction score
Definitely want to see this beast, nice set of shots, and thanks for the info on how these things work, I have read before but my memory isn't what it used to be (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
ahh classic !, great photos

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
A good thing you sacked off the main power station as by August it had been royally torn apart by the pikeys, such a shame as in May last year it was totally mint :(

insider

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
so cool! hope i get to see this sometime

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
I stood on that rim on the green sludge..really wasnt happy incase i slipped back :eek: .Nice selection of shots mate

glozlem

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Soğutma kuleleri, çeşitli amaç ve büyüklükteki endüstriyel tesislere soğutma suyu sağlamak için tasarlanmış yapılardır. Değişik ölçülerde olabilir; 100 metre çapına ve 120 metre yüksekliğe erişen kuleler mevcuttur.

Endüstriyel soğutma kuleleri, doğal gaz işleme tesisleri, petrokimya tesisleri, petrol rafinerileri, enerji santralleri ve diğer endüstriyel tesislerde sistemde dolaşan soğutma suyunun sistemden aldığı ısıyı soğutma suyundan uzaklaştırmak için kullanılır.