Post a thread

Post a report or anything else to the forums

See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Is there an unnecessary rift within the urbex community?

Urbexy

Reaction score
New member here, but far from new to urbex. I have always had an interest in exploring and adventuring within abandoned locations.

When I explore I take images and video and I upload to my YouTube channel. I notice that there appears to be a fairly sizable rift between Stills photographers and videographers (mainly YouTubers).

As I said before I am a YouTuber but I don't beg for likes and subscriptions. I  research locations, explore it and document it. None of this "smash the like button" or "nearly died" fakery that a lot of video people do simply to generate exposure. I think genuine urban explorers whether they are stills people or video people actually have more in common than they think and Perhaps we should be more worried about outright fakery that occurs on both sides of the spectrum. Within the YouTube urbex community, there is a genuine distaste for people who are creating fake content. The term that is widely used is "urbex theatre". It's a work of fiction, dressed up to be an explore.

The same occurs within the photography sector where people are manipulating images to the extent they do not even resemble the original location. There are also situations where people rearrange locations to set up their shots (photo or video) and this really just takes away from the whole abandoned theme.

Genuine explorers are genuine explorers regardless of the medium you choose to record your explores on, or the platform you choose to display your work. Would love to hear your thoughts on this...

Andy

Staff member
Forum moderator
Reaction score
In my opinion, filming in itself isn't the problem.

But unfortunately it's a fact that many YouTuber give lurid titles to their videos (like "corpse found in Buker", "secret discovered in a hidden chamber" or similar stupid headlines).

In addition, the shots are sometimes not only shaky and out of focus / blurry; but, moreover, videos are frequently posted in dozens of groups, a lot of times combined with the paltry begging "Like / share / comment".

All this, just to get as much attention as possible.

After all, it really gets bad, when people are filming themselfes, when they shattering & destroying something in abandoned places, smashing window panes, and so on (and to make matters worse, such immature idiots think they are great...).

Of course, you're absolutely right that not all YouTuber are like that. But all this together, after all, has resulted that publications on YouTube fell into disrepute.

Also for these reasons mentioned above, we finally have closed the video area in the forum. Videos are accepted here only as an accessory now, the main part of a posting must consist of photos.

Yes, admittedly, to some "genuine" ( = trustworthy) explorers, we may do wrong with this. But, unfortunately, "unwanted" videos have become more here too, which is why we decided to take this step. And as I said: at least, there is still the possibility to include videos in photo posts.

"Black sheeps" are everywhere, you're right. Also with the photographers.

I also don't like it at all, when "alleged explorers" completely change things in rooms for their photos. Because that ultimately destroys the authenticity of the abandoned places.

Yes; I also already have put things away, like ugly blue garbage bags or annoying legacies from previous visitors (such as empty cigarette packs or things like that). But I wouldn't usually think, to move items or furnishings. I visit a place, enjoy it, take my pictures, and go again. That's it.

What's really stupid is when photographers lay tables with dishes, pour glasses, and so on... However, unfortunately, arranging and decorating of things in abandoned places has become normal for many photographers. But as I said - there will always be black sheeps, no matter where or at what...

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyK!

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
It is saddening that all YouTubers have become tarred with the same brush, so to speak, as there are certainly one or two genuine explorers such as yourself who post their findings in video format on YouTube. However, they are few and far between, and the vast majority of the urbex videos on YouTube are just clickbait nonsense. It's nice to see the few that are good documentary style videos that explain the location properly, when they come up.

I agree, there is a lot of rubbish posted in the form of photographic reports too, however the problem is that YouTube videos are seen by a much wider audience. The average non-explorer viewer sees all these YouTube videos and thinks that is what urban exploring is. It's not what I do, and it's not what is done by almost any genuine urban explorer who is out there finding new locations, but whenever I mention to somebody that I do urban exploring they reply with oh yeah I've seen the videos on YouTube, and I cringe!

Dubbed Navigator

Webmaster
Staff member
Webmaster
Forum admin
Reaction score
I don't find the way people are recording thier explores an issue at all, however I do also belive it takes more of a "knack" to film a Youtube video than it does to take photos.

You can skim across a report with naff pictures, you can't really with a video. Who wants to hear you and your makes heavy breathing? people are often more selective about what they post when its a picture. Oh, and the fact they show entry half the time.

Now a GOOD video is fine, no more than 2 or 3 minutes, highlights of an explore, and well narrated rather than shitty drum N bass.

If we saw more of those, the ban on solely video reports may not have come along. The reason we allow "hybrid" types is to enable both interests.

Essentially, if there's no thought put into the video of its quality, or awareness of its effect on the wider community, I have no time for it.

Can photos still have the same effect? to an extent yes, but its also a lot easier to moderate if it needs to be.

OP
Urbexy

Urbexy

Reaction score
I do tend to agree with most comments posted here. I also appreciate you not tarring us all with the same brush. What I specifically like about watching a video is you can be taken on a "tour" and have a proper look around. With images, I find it hard to imagine myself at the location. When I set out to film a location I try and provide a video that provides some information. I do my research. A lot of the locations I visit are wartime ruins, so there is very often a lot of history surrounding them.

As for people trashing locations... They aren't explorers. They may try and lay under the guise of being explorers but we all know what they are.

Andy

Staff member
Forum moderator
Reaction score
As for people trashing locations... They aren't explorers. They may try and lay under the guise of being explorers but we all know what they are.

Yes, of course they aren't explorers, by no means! But unfortunately some of them, who watch such videos, connect the seen falsely with our hobby.

BikinGlynn

Reaction score
Yes, of course they aren't explorers, by no means! But unfortunately some of them, who watch such videos, connect the seen falsely with our hobby.
Anyone who hasnt got a genuine interest in exploring wont last 5 min on a "exploring forum". If their thread title said "body found in bunker" for example it would be delete by admin or they would be slated to the point of leaving.
For that reason reports with stills are generally of a reasonable quality (although some facebook groups are becoming a little dubious)
Problem is there is no restrictions on youtube anyone can post any crap they like so percentage wise there is a lot of crap exploring vids (because they most likely cant post on a decent forum). Unfortunately people like my 13yr old lad will continue to watch them because he genuinely believes a professional youtuber is a career choice!