free hit counter
King Edwards VII Upper School, Melton Mowbray - August 2015 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

King Edwards VII Upper School, Melton Mowbray - August 2015

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

King Edward VII Secondary School, which opened in 1910, was originally known as the County Grammar School of King Edward VII; the school can be found in Melton Mowbray, on a 56 acre green field site. The first headteacher, Dr Fred Hodson, was appointed in 1909 and thereafter he oversaw the selection of all other teaching staff. In the beginning, however, the schools name was initially challenged, since they had not sought royal authorisation, and the matter subsequently became far more complicated when the King died May 6th 1910. To resolve the problem the school were forced to appeal to MPs before the Board of Education. After much debate and consideration, the new King finally declared that his father’s name was ‘indeed a splendid choice’. By 1912, the school hosted its first ever sports day and also divided its students into houses: Belvoir (Red), Cottesmore (Yellow) and Quorn (Blue). Each of the houses competed against one another in events that included: pillow fighting, needle-threading, bean bag races, skipping races and athletics.

By 1931, plans for extensions to the school were inaugurated and by 1936 the construction of a new assembly hall was set underway. Furthermore, the science block was replaced with a modernised two storey block and more classrooms were built. In the 1940s the Old Grammarians started a memorial fund to construct a pavilion for the school, in memory of those who died during the First World War, and for those who were dying in the Second. After the Second World War, after a period of relative stability and consistency, the school was renamed in 1964 (to King Edward VII Upper School). This change was part of wider plans in the area to close the Boy’s Modern School and the Sarson Girl’s School; both of which were located within the local vicinity. The school continued to grow in successive years and in 1975 a new sixth form was opened, alongside a larger sports hall. The music centre and all-weather pitch were opened more recently, in 1991, followed by the sports centre in 1996. By 1997 the school also gained Technology College status.

As King Edward VII entered the 2000s, it was regarded as both a national and international leader in the use of ICT, since it had networked hubs in every subject area, video conferencing facilities and wireless networking for laptops across the entire site. By 2004, the school had over 500 computers. Nonetheless, despite its reputation, and the fact that the school was designated as a Regional Training School for research and ICT, the decision to close the entire site was passed in 2010 (it closed its doors later in 2011). King Edwards VII was closed because it was predicted that falling student numbers would eventually make the running costs of the school unsustainable. Over the years King Edwards fostered a notable list of famous former pupils; some of these include: Graham Chapman (Monty Python), Paul Anderson (Footballer) and Dave Benson Phillips (Comedian/TV Presenter).

Our Version of Events

Melton Mowbray, the place you visit for the country’s best pork pie: that was the full extent of our knowledge before we arrived at King Edwards. We’ve passed the area a few times on our travels and, as far as we were aware, there was a pork pie factory there. As it turns out, there’s actually a whole town there too. So, still rather stunned with this new found discovery, and with a somewhat nostalgic KM_Punk, we set off in the direction of his old school. Access was novel to say the least, and we had to avoid the sports centre nearby since it is still used by clubs and teams. But, we managed it and there was still plenty to see across the buildings we explored. While most of the tables and chairs have been removed, there’s still plenty of evidence that King Edwards was indeed a school, and hopefully the pictures reveal this. Unfortunately, however, we only managed to access the English, Humanities and ICT classrooms, the photography and design and technology workshops and the arts and drama studio.

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Soul and KM_Punk.

1: King Edward VII Upper School

DSC_0400a_zpsmalh4oxr.jpg

2: One of the Main Corridors

DSC_0406a_zps8dusptoa.jpg

3: Trumpet

DSC_0296a_zps5n9tf7iy.jpg

4: Media Classroom

DSC_0303a_zpsxisccvwh.jpg

5: Photography Class

DSC_0330a_zps49zdgf9m.jpg

6: Photography Room

DSC_0332a_zpscae7ujxy.jpg

7: Remaining Photographs

DSC_0334a_zpsxecvmbe0.jpg

8: Photograph Basin

DSC_0338a_zpstjwrakun.jpg

9: Technology Workshop

DSC_0306a_zpsdbq03ngh.jpg

10: Bits and Pieces in the Technology Department

DSC_0309a_zpsfiykyhcr.jpg

11: Technology Store Room

DSC_0314a_zpscfdeut0b.jpg

12: Technology Shelves

DSC_0315a_zpshbozzvfl.jpg

13: The Main Hall

DSC_0317a_zpsw6dwymie.jpg

14: A Student Guide to King Edward's

DSC_0320a_zpspyljhxjw.jpg

15: The Drama Studio

DSC_0322a_zpsk0zff27g.jpg

16: Drama Studio Staircase

DSC_0325a_zpsvd6byqoo.jpg

17: Drama Studio from the Other Side

DSC_0327a_zps9uzyrs56.jpg

18: Accessible Lift

DSC_0349a_zpsumazs1qe.jpg

19: Old Art Sink

DSC_0352a_zpsxascyzgy.jpg

20: Map of King Edwards

DSC_0358a_zps6z3auaeh.jpg

21: Science Classroom

DSC_0363a_zps2pk8bzlt.jpg

22: Misc Props (Drama)

DSC_0365a_zps19ttyhzb.jpg

23: Strange Hub in the Middle of the School

DSC_0367a_zpsw402pquc.jpg

24: Technology Classroom Tool Cupboard

DSC_0371a_zpst6ix9vab.jpg

25: Technology Storage Area

DSC_0375a_zps1ldj2t2g.jpg

26: English Classroom

DSC_0376a_zpsn9itlghi.jpg

27: Languages Classroom

DSC_0381a_zpssyqyfvfg.jpg

28: Staff Office

DSC_0389a_zpspjywvmxp.jpg

29: Traditional School Wall Decor

DSC_0396a_zpssu8kt11h.jpg

30: ICT Classroom

DSC_0399a_zpsfwdtxdlj.jpg

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
31: Card Dispenser

DSC_0404a_zpspld68niv.jpg

32: Rugby Ball near PE Classroom

DSC_0410a_zpshjkhdngc.jpg

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice shots of the place and captures it well.

How nice of them to leave a map out for you (y)

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
Dude thats flipping sweet! All those nice old planes just left! Top stuff mate! (y)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Looks a good explore this, I'd love to explore my old school! Nice looking building too (y)

:comp

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice shots of the place and captures it well.How nice of them to leave a map out for you (y)
I thought the exact same thing when I found it :p Thanks man, appreciate the comment.

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Looks a good explore this, I'd love to explore my old school! Nice looking building too (y) :comp
Me too, but mine's not abandoned yet :(

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice looking old building that mate, did you have a parp on the trumpet? :D

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice looking old building that mate, did you have a parp on the trumpet? :D
Haha, nah. We were too busy trying to be quiet. Apparently I'm wrong; it's not a trumpet. It's actually a baritone. Learn something new every day.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice set of pics there.

I've noticed this thread has gone a bit mad on views, I think it's been shared on social media somewhere. Anyone care to enlighten us? (feel free to use the contact form if you're not a member)

Maniac.

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice set of pics there. I've noticed this thread has gone a bit mad on views, I think it's been shared on social media somewhere. Anyone care to enlighten us? (feel free to use the contact form if you're not a member)

Maniac.
I'm not sure what has happened here Maniac. One photo from this place was shared on our facebook page, but no name was attached to it or anything.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what has happened here Maniac. One photo from this place was shared on our facebook page, but no name was attached to it or anything.
It doesn't matter it's a good thing, I'm just intrigued as to where it's been shared. Because facebook masks the referring URL's in Google Analytics I can't find out. We share threads on the facebook group for OS and also on Twitter, but they rarely accumulate more than 50-100 views from those links. This must have been shared in a local interest group as I can see Melton Mowbray is second in the geolocation list for yesterday (and I bet it tops the list today, but I can't find that out until tomorrow)

Anyway, hello to all our visitors :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter it's a good thing, I'm just intrigued as to where it's been shared. Because facebook masks the referring URL's in Google Analytics I can't find out. We share threads on the facebook group for OS and also on Twitter, but they rarely accumulate more than 50-100 views from those links. This must have been shared in a local interest group as I can see Melton Mowbray is second in the geolocation list for yesterday (and I bet it tops the list today, but I can't find that out until tomorrow) Anyway, hello to all our visitors :)
Must be a very popular school. Maybe all the former student's are reminiscing over it.