free hit counter
Ladybower Reservoir Outlet, Upper Derwent Valley - June 2014 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Ladybower Reservoir Outlet, Upper Derwent Valley - June 2014

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

Ladybower Reservoir lies in the Peak District and was established in 1935, when the Derwent Valley Water Board were tasked with providing a sustainable and safe water source for Sheffield and other surrounding areas and key cities. It was the final reservoir to be constructed out of the three that now reside within the vicinity. Ladybower wasn’t completed until 1943 and during that time it was necessary for two local villages (Derwent and Ashopton) to be drowned. Although all of the residents were relocated, one lady refused to move and continued to live in her property up until her death in 1990. By this point, it was rumoured that the water in Ladybower Reservoir was touching the front steps of her cottage. The remnants of the village still lie beneath the surface of the water and occasionally, when the water levels are particularly low, some of the old structures are still visible to passersby.

The dam itself is especially unique as it houses two entirely enclosed bellmouth overflows which are each located at either side of the wall. Both structures are constructed of stone and have a diameter of 24 metres (80ft), with outlets that are 4.6 metres (15ft) in diameter. Water is discharged via two separate valve houses which are situated at the base of the dam. Although the overflow tunnels originally had walkways positioned throughout, they have been dismantled and, with the exception of the odd frog, fish and shrew, the structures remain completely bare.

Our Version of Events

After a good caving session in the Peak District we found ourselves inadvertently driving towards Ladybower Reservoir. As we drove we gazed at the calm waters, and watched several people casually fishing and riding bicycles. Suddenly, the exploration urge began to twitch and in an instant we found ourselves tucked away inside a fine looking overflow tunnel. Inside it was reasonably windy and a fair amount of nature also decided to join us on our little expedition into the darkness. Both overflow systems are remarkable structures though, and were well worth a visit!

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do, The Hurricane and Rizla Rider.

DSC_0545az_zpssenfcm5f.jpg

DSC_0549az_zpspdi2paih.jpg

DSC_0551z_zpsfjx5e9ts.jpg

DSC_0554az_zps3in1639n.jpg

DSC_0556az_zpshuntxuu7.jpg

DSC_0561az_zpsgiergrzz.jpg

DSC_0566z_zpshkh3izb9.jpg

DSC_0567az_zpsz8jexfls.jpg

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Looking good and gotta love the work that went in building this place.

Also Unbelievable not a single earth quake in sight lol

Cool share :D

:comp

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Looking good and gotta love the work that went in building this place.Also Unbelievable not a single earth quake in sight lol

Cool share :D

:comp

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one! A friend of mines parents live on the banks of one of the reservoirs here, I forget which one; it's a beautiful area of the country. Never knew this was here thou, although it doesn't surprise me, the water has to go somewhere! Might have a nose next time I'm up there. (y)

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one! A friend of mines parents live on the banks of one of the reservoirs here, I forget which one; it's a beautiful area of the country. Never knew this was here thou, although it doesn't surprise me, the water has to go somewhere! Might have a nose next time I'm up there. (y)
Yeah, beautiful scenery around here. It's well worth a visit inside here too. The architecture is quite amazing.

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Ace mate been meaning to get this done for a while too busy when I went last :(

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Always nice to see this, great pics there :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
it's a nice one this mate ,nicely done,only reason id want to go back there now is for the light streaming down the in-fall and of course to abseil the fucker..night visit was cool for a shot above the water but you need daylight for that in-fall pipe ;)

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
it's a nice one this mate ,nicely done,only reason id want to go back there now is for the light streaming down the in-fall and of course to abseil the fucker..night visit was cool for a shot above the water but you need daylight for that in-fall pipe ;)
Cheers mate. Never done this one by night. Might be interesting to see what it's like :D