Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Leeds Girls High School - Sep 15

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Ok wanted to see this for a while so at 2 am decided to go look. Visited with acid reflux even though he stayed in car has he was shattered and stranton.

Explore.

Ok work is well on way here with lots of the building ripped up and several outside buildings now rubble. But most was still here. Was a wonderful explore and had some really nice features. However due to time never got to see has much has i would have liked but hell atleast i saw what was left. The computer room with headphones is sadly gone also much of the other stuff is also gone.

I was late to party on this :tumbleweed . Nevermind was still worth the look.

History.

Leeds Girls' High School (LGHS) was an independent, selective, fee-paying school for girls aged 3–18 founded in 1876 in Headingley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It merged with Leeds Grammar School in 2005 to form The Grammar School at Leeds.

LGHS was founded in 1876, at a time when female education was limited but expanding. Frances Lupton and other members of the Ladies’ Honorary Council of the Yorkshire Board of Education decided that campaigning for access to the universities was of little use without better all-round education for girls, equivalent to what boys received at traditional academic grammar school. Established interests prevented the use of existing charitable funds, so Lupton and her colleagues created a new way forward: a joint stock company.

The school motto was Age Quod Agis, which means "do what you do". While seemingly tautological at first glance, it is in fact a corruption of the Biblical exhortation, "whatsoever thy turn thy hand to, do it with all thy might". The pupils were divided into four houses, named after the four patron saints of the United Kingdom: Andrew, David, George and Patrick. Girls were placed into the houses that their families had been in before them. There were various house competitions throughout the year, mainly sports and arts orientated, the main one being the house music competition during the spring term.

The school had three sections situated in the western suburbs of Headingley:

Infant School (Rose Court): 3 to 7-year-olds

Junior School (Ford House): 7 to 11-year-olds

Senior School: 11 to 18-year-olds

The Infant School (Rose Court) was situated on the large Senior School site on Headingley Lane, while the Junior School (Ford House) operated 1 mile (1.6 km) down the road in a converted mansion house. The Senior School building was built in the early 1900s, and efforts are currently being made to have the building listed. The fine oak wood panelling in the Assembly Hall detailed where Old Girls went to university on completion of their education at LGHS. The furniture within the Senior School Library was designed by Robert Thompson (The Mouseman), but was sold when the school moved to Alwoodley Gates (the Leeds Grammar School site).

In 2004 LGHS was the highest performing school within the Leeds LEA area, achieving top results at both GCSE and A Level.

In 2005 LGHS merged with Leeds Grammar School to form the Grammar School at Leeds (GSAL). The merged school administration took over LGHS in August 2005, however the schools did not physically merge until September 2008. At that time the Junior School (ages 7–11) and Senior School (ages 11–18) moved to Alwoodley Gates. Classes for girls and boys between the ages of 11 and 16 remain segregated, but all extracurricular activities are mixed. The Infant School moved to the Ford House building next to a new nursery school, currently operating as GSAL'S Rose Court Nursery and Pre-Prep.

The school building was used as a filming location for the fictional St Matthews' Hospital in the new ITV medical drama Monroe, which was scheduled for broadcast in 2011.

Pics:

DSC02863_zpsbeyxfqsp.jpg

Fake lift lol

DSC02864_zpsgu6c5ics.jpg

DSC02865_zpslwzrsgjp.jpg

DSC02867_zpsjsna72as.jpg

DSC02870_zps820tqvlu.jpg

DSC02871_zpsjpydyrqd.jpg

DSC02873_zpso37zzaf3.jpg

Last of the computer desks

DSC02874_zpsq6msdpnx.jpg

DSC02875_zpshhh4yhrx.jpg

DSC02876_zpsbe1j8rkv.jpg

DSC02881_zpsgpowxiwb.jpg

DSC02883_zpsttsaqo1t.jpg

DSC02885_zpsmhnpbryp.jpg

DSC02888_zpsmgstutxg.jpg

Fellow explorers

DSC02889_zps0fvp9rca.jpg

DSC02890_zpsbojzzafb.jpg

Guess some people are not fans of a certain other site or some of there people. And Acid couldn't give a fook lol. Would put a pic up but do-sent deserve a spot on my pics lol. But sure those who have been have seen the black board. But enjoy this pic instead.

DSC02901_zpsu83ylena.jpg

DSC02902_zpsdhzd7efb.jpg

DSC02903_zpsavnapcqy.jpg

DSC02904_zpsvwuodbad.jpg

DSC02907_zpsuupe60kr.jpg

DSC02908_zpsgd8o35jx.jpg

DSC02910_zpsf9pupaes.jpg

DSC02911_zpsj9ncpjcj.jpg

DSC02913_zps94f97jvu.jpg

DSC02914_zpspgczk8vw.jpg

DSC02917_zpspyscyvik.jpg

DSC02918_zpshtpdupiw.jpg

Ok hope you all enjoy sorry diden't get the door shot somehow we missed it has it was total darkness lol. Thanks for looking all

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
you covered it better ten me when I went, and in the dark, well done.

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Same as scrappy said mate, you've covered the place well. We visited and ran out of light in the evening and I found it difficult to get shots but you've done well there with those. Shame the computer room appears to be fucked now :(

Cool report (y)

:comp

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks for kind comments about pics etc. All down to acid teaching me how to use cam proper etc so gotta give him some credit lol. And yea was gutted i did not get to see it in its prime. But deffo got a good idea what it was like. Many thx all

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Better to see now than not at all thats for sure.

Done well there and thanks for sharing (y)

Urban_Explorer

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice to see work has started, what are they doing with it?...

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
First of all can i just say im actually pissing myself at the "Shaun Greatbatch is an arse bandit" - Whoever did that high five lolololol

Cool report mate, shame to see that its rather wrecked these days but glad you got to see it.

that room full of headphones was cool but i never got a good shot unfortunately

Session9

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice to see this again.

Good work fella :)