free hit counter
Leeds Girls School - Leeds - (January 2015) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Leeds Girls School - Leeds - (January 2015)

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
Visited With Hamtagger and Session9

Now Public thanks to the wonderful world of Social Media. :)

After a successful morning in York and Leeds we decided to head for our "Main Splore of the Day"

We decided that this weekend was the time to get the old girl done before it becomes impossible to enter or destroyed by the youths of Leeds. And getting inside was not an easy task, after checking all of the obvious spots and Hamtagger falling off a roof into a pool of 8 inch water. We decided that the only way in was potentially suicidal. So we went for it. And it was worth every second!

Inside, the school really is a beauty, it feels like 3 different locations in one. A modern School, an Old School and a Hospital. I just wish we went there earlier because it was hard to get anything decent in the dark so we had to rush around in the last hour of daylight we had.

History

LGHS was founded in 1876, at a time when female education was limited but expanding. Frances Lupton and other members of the Ladies’ Honorary Council of the Yorkshire Board of Education decided that campaigning for access to the universities was of little use without better all-round education for girls, equivalent to what boys received at traditional academic grammar school. Established interests prevented the use of existing charitable funds, so Lupton and her colleagues created a new way forward: a joint stock company.

The school motto was Age Quod Agis, which means "do what you do". While seemingly tautological at first glance, it is in fact a corruption of the Biblical exhortation, "whatsoever thy turn thy hand to, do it with all thy might". The pupils were divided into four houses, named after the four patron saints of the United Kingdom: Andrew, David, George and Patrick. Girls were placed into the houses that their families had been in before them. There were various house competitions throughout the year, mainly sports and arts orientated, the main one being the house music competition during the spring term.

Pictures

Classroom

16374764841_7fcc886d78_c.jpg

The Green Corridor

16350492906_61d6e3ee2f_c.jpg

Fake Hospital Sign For the ITV Drama "Monroe"

16189066840_18da880918_c.jpg

Bathroom in the dark

16374696001_99691244da_c.jpg

Science Class

16376389595_cf439c85a8_c.jpg

Classroom steps

16189033660_271036288a_c.jpg

Hallway steps

16375540082_a0d6c47a6b_c.jpg

"Hospital" Props

16189022200_dba6fc8e85_c.jpg

Mattie's Cafe

16376457955_4407f9e15b_c.jpg

Time to leave?

16188849358_59311acc7f_c.jpg

Darkness Falls

16189132190_66dbe8741a_c.jpg

When you suck at night photography, light paint ;)

16189121610_dcfb06c5f0_c.jpg

As always, Thanks for looking

:)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Looks good matt (y)

The waterproof socks got a good field test that day haha!

It's all about the location in my opinion and its a shame this location has been jeopardised now though :(

urblex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
"Now Public thanks to the wonderful world of Social Media" that'll be faceache then :rolleyes: crackin' report though looks worth the suicidal access. Love the 4th pic, can't beat a bit of 'dark photography' (y)

Session9

OS Member
Reaction score
Captured that beautifully mate (y)

They even named a café after you :)

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
"Now Public thanks to the wonderful world of Social Media" that'll be faceache then :rolleyes:
People just can't keep it in their trousers sometimes sadly.

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
Looks good matt (y) The waterproof socks got a good field test that day haha!

It's all about the location in my opinion and its a shame this location has been jeopardised now though :(
Thanks mate (y) Shame we only had an hour of daylight though.

I have a feeling security will lock it down now, it's 99.9% boarded up anyway so it won't take much effort.

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Im glad you guys got to see the place as it’s not been the easiest to gain entry over the years.

I first saw this place when a mate posted some pics up back in 2009 and then never really heard anything more of the place.

It seamed to have been forgotten up until recently and was good to see the place now, also with the addition of being used as a set for the drama Munroe / St Mathews Hospital.

I know those who initially discovered access wished for the place to remain a bit on the quiet for totally unselfish reasons,

That being they hoped others could see before the access was discovered and the place sealed hence they posted in the Non Public sections of different forums.

But not long after a few people were publicly posting images of the place all over Facebook ,Calling it Munroes etc which defeats the object of it being in any forums NP sections.

Hence when Chris /OT raised with some of those posting publicly with he was abused for doing so shifted the posts on 28 to public.

Yet another Urbex Drama that we could all do without.

Here on OS we left Jones –y posts of the location in NP as I thought I would do all I could to slow the process down ,but its nothing more than closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

Then its all about standing back and looking @ who opened the gate :p

Cool share Matt (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
Im glad you guys got to see the place as it’s not been the easiest to gain entry over the years.I first saw this place when a mate posted some pics up back in 2009 and then never really heard anything more of the place.

It seamed to have been forgotten up until recently and was good to see the place now, also with the addition of being used as a set for the drama Munroe / St Mathews Hospital.

I know those who initially discovered access wished for the place to remain a bit on the quiet for totally unselfish reasons,

That being they hoped others could see before the access was discovered and the place sealed hence they posted in the Non Public sections of different forums.

But not long after a few people were publicly posting images of the place all over Facebook ,Calling it Munroes etc which defeats the object of it being in any forums NP sections.

Hence when Chris /OT raised with some of those posting publicly raised with and was abused for doing so shifted the posts on 28 to public.

Yet another Urbex Drama that we could all do without.

Here on OS we left Jones –y posts of the location in NP as I thought I would do all I could to slow the process down ,but its nothing more than closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

Then its all about standing back and looking @ who opened the gate :p

Cool share Matt (y)
Thanks SK :)

It's a shame she had to come to Public so soon. The place is still really fresh inside. But all good things come to an end. The Forum mods can't control what people are posting outside of forums which is a shame with places like this. It's probably good that it's public on here and 28 now to give explorers a chance to get here before the chavs do.

Opening Hospital doors to discover a wall behind it was quite interesting in the dark ;)

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
Captured that beautifully mate (y) They even named a café after you :)
Thanks mate (y)

We were lucky to find the cafe on the way out.

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
"Now Public thanks to the wonderful world of Social Media" that'll be faceache then :rolleyes: crackin' report though looks worth the suicidal access. Love the 4th pic, can't beat a bit of 'dark photography' (y)
Definitely worth the access! She's a beauty inside.

And thanks mate

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cracking pics,I never knew about the Monroe thingy..I really liked that series.

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Lovin that, especially the wooden desks.