free hit counter
Great Britain - Leyland Motors Test Track (March '13) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Leyland Motors Test Track (March '13)

LewisS

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I took a look around this place back in March and posted it on another UE site but since joining up on here I thought I'd share it on here as well :)

After reading in the local rag (Leyland Guardian) that planning permission has been submitted and is very likely to be passed on building 750 homes and employment units, I decided to get a look at the old girl again before she disappears for good just like the rest of Leyland's industrial heritage.

Not much history is written about this place but from what I can gather, it was built in the mid to late 70s as a replacement for the 1st Test Track that was situated off Hall Lane in Leyland. As Leyland was considered one of Britain's biggest industrial towns with the Motors site taking up most of the town, it is pretty sad to see that hardly any traces of it remain. We are bombarded with reminders of Leyland's illustrious past and rich industrial heritage yet it's being mothballed to an extent that hardly any of the workers from Leyland Motors barely recognise. Upto now, this unique site has survived the bulldozers but not so much the Pikeys. A lot of the drain covers have been stolen, leaving dangerous 7-10ft drops at the side of the track and the workshop has suffered considerable damage since I visited here in March.

Anyways, on with the pictures...

AnotherSlabInTheWallPS.jpg

Just as you get through the access point, look to the left and you're greeted by this which I thought was quite amusing.

ALoadOfOldCobblesPS.jpg

Seeing as the Leyland Cross cobbles were covered over in the last two years, I'd say these are the last set of cobbles in Leyland.

MakeOfItWhatYouWillPS.jpg

I wonder if this is the original sign...

WhereOnceThereWasIndustryPS.jpg

Where once there was industry

NoSupportHerePS.jpg

I think this safety barrier might've been pikeyed a bit.

BarrierBoltsPS.jpg

Those sweeping corners and high cambers would make for a huge amount of fun around here.

AccessBridgePS.jpg

UnderTheBridgePS.jpg

This is the bridge that was used to gain access from the roads to test the trucks and buses.

AboveTheRoadsPS.jpg

A look out from the bridge.

EyesThatNoLongerSeePS.jpg

The Eyes That No Longer See.

TracksGiveWayToNaturecopyPSCS.jpg

Finally, the Track begins to Give Way to nature.

Thanks for looking...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
That's quality mate!!

Something really differnt!!

(y)

:comp

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
very different !, lovely stuff :)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice to see some different type of locations

Cheers

(y)

Reaction score
Another piece of British heritage bites the dust..well captured and nice write up, cheers (y)

abandoned world

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
looks cool and diff, liked the pikey railings nice one

LewisS

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys and girls.

If any of you venture up Preston way for some of the other attractions, drop me a PM and I'll gladly take you down to it. It's an incredibly relaxed mooch.

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
I'm liking this, so very different and lovely shots! Nice one :)

S

Scattergun

I enjoyed that, lovely little bit of local history. I've always fancied having a look at Brooklands myself :) Nice little set.