free hit counter
Great Britain - Long Marston Airfield - March 2020 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Long Marston Airfield - March 2020

expert_tag_along

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Long Marston Airfield - March 2020

I'd been scratching my head for a while looking for abandoned planes and decided a holiday to Cornwall or Croatia was needed to see some then remembered Long Marston is only an hour drive from me! With that daft realisation we headed over to Stratford to see what was left, I had been there about 5 years ago when there were 3 planes including the much photographed plane with the angry face,

The airfield has now completely closed since my first visit and with no more events planned for the site I can only assume the redevelopment plans for housing are going ahead.

We had a fun hour or so photographing the Avro Shackleton

History

RAF Long Marston Airfield opened in 1941 with 3 runways arranged in an 'A' shape, an air traffic control tower and 3 hangers, It was built to operate as a satellite station to a new bomber operational training unit.

In 1954 it was decommissioned and renamed 'Long Marston Airfield'. Up till recently the site has been used for shows, motor-sports events, model aircraft flying, and even used a pad for motorbike training.

The Avro Shakleton we explored was a British long-range maritime patrol aircraft. It was developed by Avro from the Avro Lincoln bomber, which itself had been a development of the famous wartime Avro Lancaster bomber.

More history can be found here https://web.archive.org/web/20121115200518/http://www.longmarstonmodelairshow.co.uk/History.aspx

lightwer (1 of 1)-3.jpg

The Avro Shackleton, explorers will remember a few years back this was surrounded by shrubbery,

lightwer (1 of 1)-14 smaller.jpg

interior from the growler.jpg
Interior shot from https://www.thegrowler.org.uk/avroshackleton/ for comparison

lightwer (1 of 1)-15  resize.jpg

Cockpit
lightwer (1 of 1)-13 rsize.jpg

Bombers seat up front
lightwer (1 of 1)-20 resize.jpg

lightwer (1 of 1)-22 rsize.jpg

sleeping area
lightwer (1 of 1)-8rsize.jpg

r.size.jpg

lots of lovely stencilled signs such as these flares
lightwer (1 of 1)-21 rzie.jpg

tail end
lightwer (1 of 1)-10 (1)size.jpg

Obligatory selfie with my co-pilot
lightwer (1 of 1)-9 rsize.jpg

Shortly after my friend nipped there with his lad .......
received_187852479307371.jpeg

**This is my first report for about 5 years, not a noob but definitely a posting reports noob. Any errors please drop me a message :) **

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nicely done. Liked the history of the place and seeing these makes me want to go back again.

expert_tag_along

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice, drove past here the other week on the way home, completely forgot to stop by as well.

Definitely worth a mooch if you're in the area. I had seen a post a few weeks back with the other plane too, with that being gone now's the time to nip round to see this one before it potentially goes too.

cunningplan

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I've been on that plane a few times in the past, sadly at the end of 2017 the race track closed down for the last time. I was going there for over 25 years racing and working there! some evenings would go over to the planes. I see the other one has now gone and this one will be going in the near future.

BikinGlynn

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Yeah strange to see this has been dragged out onto the main runway so as mentioned I imagine it will be gone shortly.
Wonder if it will be saved?