free hit counter
Lower Balls Mine, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire - Apr '17 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Lower Balls Mine, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire - Apr '17

Punk

OS Member
Reaction score
About 3 months after he fractured his spine, I went down to Nailsworth to visit my friend Oort. After a quick coffee and a catch up, we headed straight to the mine for Oort's first mooch after his accident.​

Not much online. The early history of these quarries is vague. Presumably quarrying of the fine oolite stone has been carried on at the outcrop since Roman times. Due to the steep hillsides, the overburden soon became too great and thus they went underground. There are a number of small scale developments. According to a 90 year old inhabitant of Nailsworth, a Mr William Mortimer who died in 1970, such places were worked in the winter months by cottagers employed in casual agricultural work during the summer. Graffitti dating 1900-1947
 ​

(1)​

​

IMG_3809.JPG

​

(2)​

​

IMG_3813.JPG

​

(3)​

​

IMG_3816.JPG

​

(4)​

​

IMG_3817.JPG

​

(5)​

​

IMG_3819.JPG

​

(6)​

​

IMG_3820.JPG

​

(7)​

​

IMG_3821.JPG

​

(8)​

​

IMG_3823.JPG

​

(9)​

​

IMG_3825.JPG

​

(10)​

​

IMG_3828.JPG

​

(11)​

​

IMG_3831.JPG

​

Cheers for Looking​

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Its a nice mine this, some good images there :)  

James Bigglesworth

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Are these the Devil's Elbow Mines?  We used to hang around in there all the time. I ask the question because I have a memory of them being much higher inside.  I thought perhaps these lay be some other diggings that we heard about but never visited. I suppose you've done the W caves?

Punk

OS Member
Reaction score
Are these the Devil's Elbow Mines?  We used to hang around in there all the time. I ask the question because I have a memory of them being much higher inside.  I thought perhaps these lay be some other diggings that we heard about but never visited. I suppose you've done the W caves?

I don't think they are. No mention of a connection online or anything.

Ive not done the caves, yet

James Bigglesworth

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The W caves are more interesting, if you can still find a way into them, they were more like natural caves. If you are not from Nailsworth

ask for the way to the W drive up to the first hairpin to the left  and go down the track to the right, the caves are a couple of hundred yards on the left,  down the tracK.

Oort

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, not a cave but Scar Hill Mine. Absolute bloody death trap and the reason why the front looks 'cavey' due to years of people lighting fires in there and it slowly destroying the rock. You can push quite far if you keep to the right at the entrance but you're then blocked by a impassable collapse about 200m in.