Contact the team

Lydden Spout Deep Shelter, Dover Kent, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to do this one for a while and have recently been doing a few "Re-Visits" of other things in the area with a newb explorer so here goes with a bit of history;

Situated on the cliffs between Folkestone and Dover. Built during WW2, the Lydden Spout Deep Shelter was part of the site for a battery of six inch long range guns on the cliff tops above the spring known as Lydden Spout. There were also quite a few surface buildings and three underground magazines. Most of the surface building have gone leaving just two which are used as cattle sheds. One interesting feature of this site was the water supply, which I believe came from the spring at the bottom of the cliffs several hundred feet below. A chamber had been hollowed out of the cliff at the base of the spring and ram pumps installed to pump water up to the cliff top. Ram pumps work by using the energy of the flowing water to raise some of the water higher, and need no other power source or engine.

On with my pics....

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0009_1.jpg

DSC_0016_1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Well worth a look if you dont mind heights and a bit of climbing, Really enjoyed this one despite access being a bit dicey :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Good to see your getting on with the d90 so well mate

Ninja Kitten

O.S Friend AAA
OS Full member
Reaction score
hay thats fantastic i really must get underground more,,,i keep saying that but it hasnt happened yet!!

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
hay thats fantastic i really must get underground more,,,i keep saying that but it hasnt happened yet!!
Underground is where i am the happiest of all!has to be done

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I do like this shelter, even if it is a bit of a death trap waiting to happen. Nice pics SR. (y)

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
I do like this shelter, even if it is a bit of a death trap waiting to happen. Nice pics SR. (y)
Cheers Maniac, does make yer heart race a bit when you're in there wondering if getting outs gonna be ok

(y)

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Get down here, we'll take you round, loads to see !

(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.