free hit counter
Great Britain - Marconi New Street Factory, Chelmsford - April 2010 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Marconi New Street Factory, Chelmsford - April 2010

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I wanted to go here more for personal reasons than anything else. My mum grew up in Chelmsford, and she and her mum and a lot of their friends all worked for Marconi at different times.

Well what can I say it sure is a mess - pikeys and graffiti artists have been at play here. Having said that if you move away from the factory floor areas and into the other areas, it's not actually too bad. It's totally stripped, hardly anything to show what it's purpose was which is a shame.

Also it's huge - it really is a pretty big site, you don't realise until you're inside. There must be 4 very large factory floors, with several other large spaces as well as a 5 story high admin block, which although very samey does get better as you go higher. Then there's the very oldest part right at the front.

Visited on the spur of the moment with Obscurity and his misses - cheers for a good day people (y)

Image-058.jpg

It has to be said, this bit's pretty bland

Image-032.jpg

Image-023.jpg

Amazingly all the glass is intact, but the ceilings trashed.

Image-059.jpg

Old meets new

Image-073.jpg

Image-069.jpg

There's a few bits left

Image-086.jpg

Image-116.jpg

I love the roof of this building.

Image-125.jpg

Image-133.jpg

Image-136.jpg

Reception area was pretty good, shame it's no where near as neat as it was in earlier reports, but it could be worse.

Image-147.jpg

Image-150.jpg

Image-175.jpg

Image-196.jpg

Image-214.jpg

The main lobby of the oldest part.

Image-207.jpg

Image-211.jpg

Image-231.jpg

Although it was trashed in parts, I thought it was a pretty good - it would have been fantastic to have seen it in it's prime. (y)

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
nice photos dude and nice report, well done, cheers for giving me a shout on this one and driving! me and the misses had a good day!

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
nice 1 mate did you visit serveralls
Naaa, we didn't have time. It's veeeery nearby thou, fancy popping up there sometime ;)

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
just noticed an epic fail :lol:

* cant believe we did this place a whole year ago now, it only feels like we were there a couple of days back! :Devil:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
just noticed an epic fail :lol: * cant believe we did this place a whole year ago now, it only feels like we were there a couple of days back! :Devil:
what you on about, can't see anything wrong :mrgreen: