free hit counter
Marconi Radio Factory - Chelmsford - July 2011 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Marconi Radio Factory - Chelmsford - July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
The Marconi Radio Factory, Chelmsford

This was a return visit after getting busted by plod in March after only 20 minutes.

Back then we only touched the out buildings but had seen enough for it to be put on the back burner.

With my new baby daughter expected within the week then I was under orders to stay near to home so I could hot foot it back if the "head appeared".

Little did I know that I would be spending ten hours in a police cell and wouldn't walk through the front door until the early hours of the next morning :(

The History

Marconi's New Street factory was built in 1912 next to the Great Eastern Railway. A railway siding ran across New Street into the factory yard and brought materials in one end of the works and took finished radio equipment out of the other.

At the South end of the building two huge aerial masts once stood, the 450ft (137m) high "Marconi Poles" formed Chelmsfords most prominent landmark.

old2.jpg

During the Second World War the Marconi Company employed more than 6,000 people in Chelmsford. Producing vital military communications equipment, the New St factory became a target for bombing and was hit in May 1941 with a loss of 17 lives.

In 1920, two years before the BBC was established, the New Street factory made history as the site of the first official British sound broadcasts including the famous concert by Dame Nellie Melba which was heard all over the world.

old1.jpg

1c.jpg

2.jpg

32.jpg

43.jpg

33.jpg

IMG_8703.jpg

IMG_8704.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

IMG_8708.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8733.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8753.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

IMG_8754.jpg

Right, just to let you all know that the place is PIR'd up to the hilt, sec were on the way almost as soon a we entered and unfortunately we ended up here for nearly 11 hours

_50020706_prisonvt01ff2.jpg

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I still think this is one of the best Art Deco buildings I've had the priveledge to see. Great to see photos from there again, shame about the over-reaction from the police but such is life. All's well that ends well.

Hope Mrs Nelly is OK and best of luck with the birth of your daughter. (y)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Hope Mrs Nelly is OK and best of luck with the birth of your daughter. (y)
Thanks Mike, will post the first photos of Daisy Urbex on here for an exclusive ;)

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
nice one Nelly, good to see you finally got in there. Cant believe you got locked up again. We walked through the main door when we explored it. Maybe hiding would have been the best option.

Some nice photos mate (y)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
nice one Nelly, good to see you finally got in there. Cant believe you got locked up again. We walked through the main door when we explored it. Maybe hiding would have been the best option.Some nice photos mate (y)
Hiding would have been an option, but I'd left my camera at the bottom of the stairs and gone up to believe it or not get a pic on my mobi to upload to facebook ;) Ben spotted sec coming down a corridor and him and SK started up the stairs, but I couldn't leave the camera there of course, especially since it's the first outing I have given this one ;)

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
ahhhh thats some shit luck there mate. I don't even think there was security when I visited although im sure I heard others in the building a few times. Its such a big place that with a bit of luck you may not have even seen secca. What camera you using now?

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Cheers Justin, Obs, Im using an EOS1D MK 2 N, its a very nice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.