Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge - Jan 16

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Visited with @-Raz- & @Butters

​

History;

​

Opened in 1911, at a total length of 259 meters and 68 meters high, the Tees Transporter bridge has dominated the Middlesbrough skyline. It supports a "gondola" which can carry up to 200 people and 9 cars, or 6 cars and a mini bus. During the second world war the super structure of the bridge was hit by a bomb, and in 1953 the gondola got stuck half way during gale force winds in which the water came within inches of the carriage. However despite this, the bridge remained in full working order, having only needed minor repairs.​

​

In 1974 the comedy actor Terry Scott while travelling between his hotel in middlesboro' to a performance in Billingham mistook the bridge for a regular toll crossing and drove his car off the end of the road way , landing safely in the net below.​

​

In December 1993 it was awarded the Institution of Mechanical Engineers highest honour, The Heritage Plaque, for recognition of the local councils efforts to keep the bridge in working order. In 1985 it became grade 2 listed and its prominence as a local landmark was enhanced by floodlighting to operate during the winter months.​

​

In March 2015, the post office issued 10 first class stamps featuring iconic British bridges, one of which, as you have probably guessed, is the Tees Transporter.​

​

The Explore;

​

So we had been before, during one of the worst storms of the year and decided not to bother, but as always with these things our perseverance paid off as when we went back we had a chilly but uninterrupted mooch around. I was especially excited about this one as I have a lot of family and friends in the Tee's area and had grown up seeing this blue giant at least twice a month.​

​

Anyway, on with the pictures;​

​

24424031825_a8f50e8f8f_b.jpg

​

23797224383_ab3f0a2254_b.jpg

​

23795823754_b8a653d066_b.jpg

​

24315761952_d058cb730f_b.jpg

​

A group photo to finish :)

​

24397808926_487c6f10c5_b.jpg

​

Short and sweet, thanks for looking (y)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We didn't have time to see this on our last trip up north despite it being on @Maniac's special to-do list. Certainly is a landmark location up there. Is the tuxedo still a goer?

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one! This has indeed been "on my list" for a number of years now! One day I'll get round to it. Nice set of pics, but you need to learn to stand still for people shots :p  

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
We didn't have time to see this on our last trip up north despite it being on @Maniac's special to-do list. Certainly is a landmark location up there. Is the tuxedo still a goer?

As far as i know - I dont like boats or the jump between dock and deck so its not for me lol

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one! This has indeed been "on my list" for a number of years now! One day I'll get round to it. Nice set of pics, but you need to learn to stand still for people shots :p

Its worth doing matey (y)  @-Raz- Please take note with your poses lol

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
First shot's a cracker mate (y)

:comp

Last edited by a moderator: