free hit counter
Middlewood Asylum Chapel, Wadsley - January 2016 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Middlewood Asylum Chapel, Wadsley - January 2016

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Middlewood/South Yorkshire Asylum Chapel ​

​

The Explore..

​

Visited with @Urbexbandoned after a mooch around George Barnsley's earlier in the day and into the afternoon. Not sure what the fuck was going on with my camera but it completely died in here after only about 10 photos despite having a twin battery grip fitted and has lasted for 3 days exploring in the past. Maybe a combination of lots of long exposures/live view usage in the previous location and the very cold weather, i'll never know, but as Tracey can vouch for - I was over the moon at this development. I took some more snaps with her camera, thank you, and a few shitty ones on my phone so quite a short report. Luckily it was only a quick sniff around Loxley next as we only had about 30 mins of daylight left after being here and as you all know Loxley is a shit-hole derp.​

​

The History..(Stolen)

​

After its closure, the land of the former Hospital was purchased for residential development by Bloor Homes. It was sold off to various other developers such as Redrow,​

Barratt, Harron Homes, Wimpey and PJ Livesey although Bloor’s were the major house builder for the new Wadsley Park estate which was constructed on the site of the old hospital. The Wadsley Park village consists of a mixture of houses and apartments of various sizes. Some of the old hospital structures were designated as listed buildings, the main admin block (the clock tower), Kingswood ward, the church and the porters lodge were all grade II listed and could not be demolished with the rest of the hospital.​

The administration building and clock tower were converted into 38 luxury apartments by Urbani after permission to demolish the building was denied and the building is now known as Middlewood Lodge. The Kingswood ward has been converted into 85 apartments by developers PJ Livesey and is known as Kingswood Hall. The porter's lodge on Middlewood Road has been refurbished and is now a nursery. The hospital church has been derelict for many years, it held its last service on 6 November 1996 to mark the closure of the hospital. In March 2012 plans were submitted by architectural design consultancy Coda Studios that may see the imposing Victorian church converted into a mixture of town houses and apartments. The scheme which needs approval from Sheffield City Council also contains proposals for a selection of partially underground eco-friendly bungalows beneath the building.​

​

The Pictures..

​

1.​

26667159423_7c32057266_b.jpg

​

2.​

27272866445_d8247e4771_b.jpg

​

3.​

27272856345_e2ff516ef6_b.jpg

​

4.​

27202647431_0e8fac5ee9_b.jpg

​

5.​

26666974113_6da7f7a3d9_b.jpg

​

6.​

26666982103_62244b4dba_b.jpg

​

7.​

27239020166_813f64a321_b.jpg

​

As always thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated (y)  ​

​

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some good snaps to be had there mate :)  

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice trev looks like st josephs church in Wigan but doubt it has as much pigeon shit lol

Vulex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice church, people travel to Belgium for less. Some nice pics and report pal. 

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one m8ty . Some nice shots even with ya cam issues . Thx for posting

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That's fucking cool mate, very reminiscent of a couple of churches I've been to in Belgium. (y)  

:comp  

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
lol, fun day this one. I remember it well. Camera was working fine. I just took one look at you when you said your camera had died and the words toys and pram came to mind haha. Glad I came to the rescue with my trusty old Nikon though :p  

I loved this little place, would have been superb to have seen it with the pews, but pretty cool architechture all the same and not something you come across much over here :) Great pics (y)  

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some good snaps to be had there mate :)  

Thanks Lee (y)  

Nice trev looks like st josephs church in Wigan but doubt it has as much pigeon shit lol

Cheers Lav (y)  

Nice one. I especially like the third shot.

Thanks Andy (y)  

Nice church, people travel to Belgium for less. Some nice pics and report pal. 

Much appreciated Paul (y)  

Nice one m8ty . Some nice shots even with ya cam issues . Thx for posting

Cheers CBS (y)  

That's fucking cool mate, very reminiscent of a couple of churches I've been to in Belgium. (y)  

:comp  

Thanks Damo (y)  

that piano is nice !!

Thanks Vief (y)  

lol, fun day this one. I remember it well. Camera was working fine. I just took one look at you when you said your camera had died and the words toys and pram came to mind haha. Glad I came to the rescue with my trusty old Nikon though :p  

I loved this little place, would have been superb to have seen it with the pews, but pretty cool architechture all the same and not something you come across much over here :) Great pics (y)  

Nikon Schmikon :D