free hit counter
Military & Construction Vehicle Graveyard - Feb 15 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Military & Construction Vehicle Graveyard - Feb 15

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Explored with Raz & 2 non members (i think)

Background

Royal Air Force Station Folkingham or RAF Folkingham is a former Royal Air Force station located south west of Folkingham, Lincolnshire and about 29 miles (47 km) due south of county town Lincoln and 112 miles (180 km) north of London, England.

Opened in 1940, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces. During the war it was used primarily as a troop carrier airfield for airborne units and as a subsidiary training depot of the newly formed Royal Air Force Regiment. After the war it was placed on care and maintenance during 1947 when the RAF Regiment relocated to RAF Catterick.

During the late 1950s and early 1960s, the RAF Bomber Command used Folkingham as a PGM-17 Thor Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) base.

Today the remains of the airfield are located on private property being used as agricultural fields, with the main north-south runway acting as hardstanding for hundreds of scrapped vehicles.

19688096101_4eedf44f6c_z.jpg

Went early one february morning for a look around and with the ice melting and sun rising we found this little gem, Bedford fire trucks and all sorts, Love it!!

Half hour in a jeep and a van came flying onto site and we took shelter behind a 360 degree tipper.

19496931989_647b9f8940_z.jpg

Found us and the conversation went a little like this;

Imagine Farmer in a heavy Lincolnshire farmers accent

Farmer -"Who are you? What are you doing here?"

Us - "We are photographers, taking photos of these vehicles"

Farmer - "So why the fuck didn't you ask?!?! How would you like it if i came into your back garden and started taking photos of your things"

Us - "We didnt think anyone owned it"

Farmer - "Oh yeah, because there is any land in the whole of england that isn't owned"

Us - "Sorry"

Farmer - "No, i can tell your nice lads but why the fuck didn't you ask?"

This went on for a while longer and he then eventually told us to "Fuck off cause ive called the plod"

Need to revisit (y)

19495550428_e8288545ac_z.jpg

19688097081_5e3603cf73_z.jpg

19495551798_7ce392a578_z.jpg

19495552148_c1071f01da_z.jpg

Quite gutted i missed out on the amphibious vehicles, i was hopping to get inside a "Stolly" :sad:

If you got this far, thanks for looking (y)

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice that mate, looks a good wander :)

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
yeah very cool, been meaning to visit this place for sometime, is there still guys going about looking after the site?

HA, just read the post properly once again, YUP still angry farmers then lol

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
yeah very cool, been meaning to visit this place for sometime, is there still guys going about looking after the site?HA, just read the post properly once again, YUP still angry farmers then lol
Angry farmers, i dont think he could decide whether he was pissed at us or whether he was going to be sound with us lol.

kept switching between (y)

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
Yep it's worth noting that the site is still an active salvage business, and not 'abandoned' as such, so should be treated as if it were an operational scrapyard.

I visited after doing Sleaford Bass Maltings a couple of years ago, and first met the owner's wife walking her dog along the airfield, we acted like we thought anyone could walk through there as the gates were open. Not long after her husband, the owner, drove up in his van and after being initially a bit bristly he actually let us have free reign of the place, we played the 'we've travelled so far' card, and I think it helped that my companion looked old enough to be my father.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
We did Bass Maltings afterwards!! Sounds like you were a little luckier than us, he told us to leave immediately. :sad:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Looks a very cool location and is good to hear the farmer was so accommodating and friendly haha

Hes probably a bit bored of people wandering around the place.

Good to see that (y)

:comp

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The owner isnt a bad il stick to be honest..me n DHL arranged a legit visit here about 5 years back..took a couple bottles wine for the fella n he gave us a key to the chained gate..drove my ol banger in and parked next to his old bangers.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
The owner isnt a bad il stick to be honest..me n DHL arranged a legit visit here about 5 years back..took a couple bottles wine for the fella n he gave us a key to the chained gate..drove my ol banger in and parked next to his old bangers.
We must have caught him on a bad day - guess turning up at 7am on a sunday would piss anyone off (y)

luki19913rz

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
i went there today with 3 other people, we went half way through the yard and we had the same thing hahaha so you are not alone :D we got to the gate and the van turn up and his wife asked us if we wont to go in there so we said noooo, as soon as they left we was waiting for them to get back to ask them if we can go in there, but we stood there for an hour and no one turned up, so we went half way throw and the pickup turn up, we talked to that guy and it was ok, he told us to leave so we did, as soon as we got to our car, i was setting up sat nav and the van turned up, it was the farmer with his son. same situation, apparantly his wife told us not to go there before, he was yelling and telling us that we should ask, so why dont they put their phone number up on the gate? -.- there is no fence, and the gate is open so i think if they have problem with people going in, they should sort this out :p

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
i went there today with 3 other people, we went half way through the yard and we had the same thing hahaha so you are not alone :D we got to the gate and the van turn up and his wife asked us if we wont to go in there so we said noooo, as soon as they left we was waiting for them to get back to ask them if we can go in there, but we stood there for an hour and no one turned up, so we went half way throw and the pickup turn up, we talked to that guy and it was ok, he told us to leave so we did, as soon as we got to our car, i was setting up sat nav and the van turned up, it was the farmer with his son. same situation, apparantly his wife told us not to go there before, he was yelling and telling us that we should ask, so why dont they put their phone number up on the gate? -.- there is no fence, and the gate is open so i think if they have problem with people going in, they should sort this out :p
haha Sounds like you had fun with him too (y) Has anyone got a number for the guy? Might be helpful so we aren't pissing him off every weekend mooching round with our cameras. :ugeek:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Some of the property owners love this cat and mouse game that’s played and to be fair some hate it.

Give the fella ring and see what he says :p

The property is owned by Nelson M. Green and Sons Ltd. 01778 440285

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Some of the property owners love this cat and mouse game that’s played and to be fair some hate it.Give the fella ring and see what he says :p

The property is owned by Nelson M. Green and Sons Ltd. 01778 440285
Cheers SK (y) i will certainly do that - Maybe ill get to see them amphibious vehicles after all :D