Contact the team

Mines in the Odra Mountains (Libavá)

Luke_z_Olomoca

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hi, something about Libava.
I'm sorry for my bad English.
Libavá is a military space in the Czech Republic with an area of 320km2. There are several dozen mines there. The slate has been cultivated here since the 16th century and has left its remains in the landscape. Before World War II there were 24 villages. Since 1946, all public space has been inaccessible. The army is being trained here and entry is strictly forbidden.

Slate bearing on the Olomouc Hill is one of the largest in Central Europe. According to surveys from 1947, the power reaches up to 100 m. The slate was broken in the 16th century, the extraction was gained after 1832. In 1889, due to the long and hard winters, which considerably reduced the surface mining, deep mining was started; down to 500 miners worked. In the years 1915-1932, mining was stopped, then about 150 employees worked (under WW2 for two hundred prisoners of war). Mining was terminated after the establishment of military space. Attempts to rebuild mining took place in 1992-94, a new exploration pit was thrown out, but the mismatch of potential extraction with the military drilling regime was cut off from plans.

I managed to get into one mine where it was mined by 2002. The mine is not directly in the military space, but corridors that are several kilometers long lead there. The mine has 3 floors. The top floor is only 200 meters long and it has a 50-meter deep shaft that serves for ventilation.
2nd floor has a covered entrance, it can only be reached from the 1st floor using climbing equipment (the connection is 30 meters high).

I shot from this video, trying to capture the underground in all its beauty.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your video :)  

Feel free to share some still photographs if you have any too (y)  

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, we don't see much from the Czech republic. Looks like a decent mine and some great historical details there. (y)